Which one ?

carrotcruncher
carrotcruncher Posts: 45
edited June 2011 in Commuting general
Hi folks

Need to get back onto cycling so planning on starting commuting again.

Will be buying a previously enjoyed hybrid - I do not want a road bike with drop bars.

Currently, near to me on fleabay there are 3 bikes that look to be in top notch nick, I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of them or would give an opinion of which should be the 'better' bike.

Carrera Gryphon (with v brakes not disc)

Trek 7.1fx

Marin Kentfield

Commute is 7 miles in east Norfolk (Great Yarmouth area) on mix of cycle path, road, town, semi rural, with hedges that get cut and leave debris everywhere, plus our roads are not in the best of shape right now.
Cross winds on exposed areas as its coastal.

Any input welcome

Thanks

Comments

• george1990
    george1990 Posts: 5
    what is your price range? I'm looking to sell my marin muirwoods 29er hybrid in superb condition, just another option if you needed one!
  • mikeyboy12345
    mikeyboy12345 Posts: 187
    Just had a quick inspection of a Carrera parked outside my local Tesco (but it had the disc brakes) and it looked alright. I've personally not ridden any of the bikes but i would imagine they're all much of a muchness. The Carrera had mountings for a rear rack (might come in handy) - don't know if the Marin does. I just googled the Trek and the pics I've seen seem to feature a suspension seatpost, which I'd avoid.

TBH, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Let condition of each machine be your guide, e.g play in the hubs, BB, headset, true wheels, etc. Decent tyres are the only thing that will prevent punctures from road debris.
  • Cheers for thoughts.

The main has got schwalbe marathons on so I guess I should add a few more points in its favour lol
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My commuter uses a Gryphon frame (and that is all), its reasonable light and reasonably hardy, most Carrera's are decently specced at the original selling price.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Small update.

Bought the Gryphon.

Need to tweak it a bit yet, seem to be putting too much weight through my hands, and jiffling about on the saddle a bit - but feels a very capapble machine thus far.

Commute just under 6 miles - done it for three days now in around 23 mins - quite please with that considering I do have to bike hike via a footbridge over a dual carriageway and cross a couple of main road junctions with long light sequences
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    adjust your seat height
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk