Lube - too much, wrong stuff?

LondonMTB
LondonMTB Posts: 79
edited June 2011 in MTB beginners
Really basic question...
When I got my MTB, I was advised to use Finish Line dry lube.

Recently I took my MTB on a charity ride (mostly road) and it was temporarily at an LBS for some niggles beforehand. Whilst there (or possibly whilst in my Dad's garage?!), it mysteriously became lubed with what seems to be quite a lot of thicker, black oily lube. It's all over the rear sprockets (I think that's the right term?) and I got it everywhere when I cleaned my bike yesterday after a muddy ride...It went in my hair, on my forehead, my bath-tub, my wall, yeah pretty much everywhere. That last bit is obviously my fault, I am a mucky pup.

My question is, how much lube is too much? Have I now got the wrong 'sort' of lube on my bike? And once it's on there, what's the best way to clean this thick stuff off?!
(I assume I can't leave it there, because my ride yesterday must've caused quite a bit of muddy gritty grub to work its way into it?)

Thanks in advance, sorry for really basic question... :oops:

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You should oil the chain sparingly and wipe of excess.

See Sheldon Brown's webpage.
  • LondonMTB
    LondonMTB Posts: 79
    yeah, that's what I thought! Got a lot of cleaning to do now :roll:
    It was sparkly clean like new when I left it, my poor bike :shock:
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    less is more

take chain off, if you dont have one fit one of these

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=25439

this means you can take the xhain off by hand without tools which is immeasureably handy.

clean in a safe solvent or propriattory degreaser (halfords citrus stuff is fine for eg), rinse and allow to dry completely

one tiny drop on the inner bit of each link is fine, thoroughly wip off all excess
  • J@mesC
    J@mesC Posts: 129
    Yeah, as above - I'd fully clean and degrease both chain and cassette and start again. It's something you should do reasonably regularly anyway otherwise you get a build up of sand and mud which accelerates wear on the drive chain.

Use dry lube in the dry - wipe excess off with cloth and rest dries so it doesn't attract dust/dirt. It washes off easily though so use wetlube when it rains or is muddy... Again, wiping any excess off otherwise it just attracts dirt.
  • bonezy
    bonezy Posts: 129
    Nice clean rag after every ride, turn the crank backwards and lightly hold the rag around it. Cheap, lazy way of looking after your drive train and minimises that horrid black paste that eats chains and cassettes.
  • J@mesC wrote:
    Yeah, as above - I'd fully clean and degrease both chain and cassette and start again. It's something you should do reasonably regularly anyway otherwise you get a build up of sand and mud which accelerates wear on the drive chain.

Use dry lube in the dry - wipe excess off with cloth and rest dries so it doesn't attract dust/dirt. It washes off easily though so use wetlube when it rains or is muddy... Again, wiping any excess off otherwise it just attracts dirt.

I have got to say I completely agree with what is said above, an old guy once told me this as a young lad after i asked him how his chain was always looking clean, I have never looked back since and even better the cassette, and chain will last a hell of a lot longer!!!
  • d00m
    d00m Posts: 160
    Not a load of load of old brake fluid is it :o you never know! Check your brake!