Cutting carbon fork steerer tube?

RowCycle
RowCycle Posts: 367
edited May 2011 in Workshop
Hello,

I've recently bought a bike that comes with carbon forks, which has a carbon steerer.

When I have my stem in the right position I've 2cm or so above the top of the stem. To avoid having a lot of spacers above the stem, which looks a bit uncool, can I cut the steerer tube shorter?

If so can I use a normal hacksaw?

Thanks

Comments

• father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    not a expert but google search brings up tungsten carbine blade
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    That's what I did with mine - no problem - nice sharp hacksaw blade and then just got some fine emery paper to make the cut edge smooth. That was about 2 years ago and they haven't failed - yet ;-)
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Yeah, its easy. I was told that carbon dust isn't great for you if inhaled, so either do it outside or get a mask or summat. Or not; it's probably won't kill you.
  • andy_f
    andy_f Posts: 474
    You can use a 24 or better still a 32TPI hacksaw blade and a jig to keep the cut straight, I was lucky in that I had a small jig that came with some dildo rail the missus had me put up about 15yr ago and a 1 1/8 steerer fits it perfectly.
    There is a proper name for the jig but I'm sitting here and I just can't remember what it is.
    "Let your life rule your job, not your job rule your life"

Born to ride, forced to work.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    ANDY F wrote:
    You can use a 24 or better still a 32TPI hacksaw blade and a jig to keep the cut straight, I was lucky in that I had a small jig that came with some dildo rail the missus had me put up about 15yr ago and a 1 1/8 steerer fits it perfectly.
    There is a proper name for the jig but I'm sitting here and I just can't remember what it is.

If that's not a typo, then that's some random bedroom furniture you have there :shock:

Excellent comedy - thankyou for making me laugh.

Y
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    You need a steerer tube cutting guide and a Fibregrit blade to do a proper job.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Top tip, If you are using a hacksaw put some electrical tape tightly around the steerer before you mark and cut, this can prevent the steerer spinteriing when you get towards the end of the cut.
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    A lot of people say that you should always have at least one spacer above the stem when you have a carbon steerer. There was quite a debate about it a while ago, you should be able to do a search for it.
    For what it's worth, I've cut my own aluminium steerers and left a spacer on top anwyay; it might prove to be useful if I sell the frame & forks later.

Cheers
    Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    ANDY F wrote:

A dildo rail? :shock:
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    just mark it and take it to your LBS. they'll have the right tool/ blade and it takes about 30 seconds for them, and chances are they'll do a proper job (not saying you won't- they just do it all day every day). It's a bloody expensive way to test your man skills.

last time i had one of mine cut it to 30 seconds and cost under a fiver i think. It's not like its something you need to do every day is it!
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    If your crap using a hacksaw just get a chep mitre saw from B&Q or homebase and youwillget perfect cut everytime
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    Carbide blade+tube cutting guide. Rotate the steerer before you cut through the last bit to avoid splintering the edge.

I cut a little bit off first to make sure I knew what I was doing before going for the real cut :wink:
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    How far up did you put the dildo rail? Not heard of anybody ever needing a jig for that.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • andy_f
    andy_f Posts: 474
    How far up did you put the dildo rail? Not heard of anybody ever needing a jig for that.

I put it up about 4ft and used Evostick no nails to hold it in place. The Partners mother was so impressed when she saw it that she wanted me to put one up for her also. You have to use a jig/mitre so that the end will butt up nice and tight.
    "Let your life rule your job, not your job rule your life"

Born to ride, forced to work.
  • buder
    buder Posts: 154
    ANDY F wrote:

I put it up about 4ft and used Evostick no nails to hold it in place. The Partners mother was so impressed when she saw it that she wanted me to put one up for her also. You have to use a jig/mitre so that the end will butt up nice and tight.

someone tell me this is a wind up ??

dildo rail hahahahaha sorry im being a big kid. :lol::lol: