Bedding in Organic pads

tom_fun
tom_fun Posts: 124
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there, just got some superstar Organic pads (used SS plenty of times before but first time for Organics)

I have just bedded them in by hooning around and slamming on the anchors and then wetting the brakes to get the desired sizzle. When I was bedding them in I could feel the brakes getting better but they seemed to peak in performance and then lost all stopping power completely! I went for a quick ride after bedding in both pairs and the performance is nowhere near the 'peak' i achieved whilst bedding them in. Is there a chance I have over done it & glazed them?

I have always followed this procedure for SS Sinetered pads and its always done me well.

All help appreciated!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I have never ever used water for bedding in brakes.

just putting a few heat cycles works for most brakes. or just using them without cooking them or getting them to covered in crap.

re glazing have a look.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    I fitted new Superstar sintered pads this evening and tried to bed them in before the light failed me and I noticed the same thing as you :(

I got up to about 10-12 mph, weight over back wheel and slammed on the front brake as hard as I could without the rear wheel lifting too high. Repeated this 20 times, and could feel the pads gripping more sharply with each repeat, but after 5 mins rest they seemed fairly unresponsive again.

Superstar specifically state the organic pads 'have excellent bite from cold' so I'm surprised to hear it happens with those as well!
  • bonezy
    bonezy Posts: 129
    Never understood why people use water when bedding in brakes. Get up to a decent speed down hill, come to a progressive stop, cycle back to the top, allowing the rotors to cool a little, rinse and repeat.
    Just done it myself today with new Shimano resin pads, they're spot on and provide very strong and consistent power. I always make sure I clean the rotors before bedding in a new set of pads; taking the contamination variable out of the equation.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    I think the OP meant that he puts water on the rotors (as this is what the Superstar packaging advises) not the pads.

I know that this is a subject that people rarely agree on, but has anyone else had seen this 'peaking' and does anyoine have any advice? My rotors were thoroughly cleaned with isopropanol before fitting the new pads.

Sorry for hijacking your thread!
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Never used water here either.

I wonder whether quenching them in water has a case hardening effect on the pads?

I can't think of any other reason they would recommend rapid cooling with water. :?

I'm hoping they'll read this and give a response.

Superstar Components :?:
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    20 stoppies in the car park is all you need to do. As for water it wont harm the pads or the disc or dont you lot ride through puddles.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    I've been using the organic SS pads for about a year now. Used them on the codes right through last summem and all through Winter, and now have a set fitted to the Formulas. I'm astonished at how long they last. In a full year in all conditions, I've only gone though a couple of sets, and one of the times I changed was because I'd contaminated the pads.

Didn't bother using water, but I'd certainly be going faster that 10mph for bedding in. We have quite a long steep hill round here, I tend to fly down that as fast as I can, with the brakes on enough to require pedalling, but not so hard I go OTB. That puts a LOAD of heat in the pads. Repeat a couple of times, and they're right as rain.

That said, last set I put in, I just rode up and down my (flat) street with the brake on a few times. that seems to have done the job too.
  • Potters1
    Potters1 Posts: 4
    i thought the use of water was just away of checking you had got them hot enough when bedding in, if water does not boil off repeat bedding in process and check again.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    Potters1 wrote:
    i thought the use of water was just away of checking you had got them hot enough when bedding in, if water does not boil off repeat bedding in process and check again.
    that's what i thought too.
  • tom_fun
    tom_fun Posts: 124
    All seems to be fine. Had a proper ride today and pads are working really well. cheers for the input
  • lock1981
    lock1981 Posts: 546
    I've had the same problem