specialized epic 2007 frame rear shock position

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

Maybe a bit of a dumb question but here goes.
The frame has the rear shock position going along to the rear wheel hub.

Subsequent frames reverted to the rear shock being positioned from the top tube down eg

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... gn=froogle

Did the older position lead to a worse ride/crap frame or not?Just wondering as to the change or was the rear shock more prone to wear/damage etc?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• mikeyj28
    Any suggestions or knowledge of this guys?

Thanks
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what are you asking?

are you looking to buy one or....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Out of interest. Now I want to know.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mikeyj28
    nicklouse wrote:
    what are you asking?

are you looking to buy one or....

Hi Nick

Yes possibly looking at getting one hence the question.
    If you've got any insight then i'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    The change over came in around 2009; the rear triangle, linkage and shock are different.

You would need to ask Specialized what was the reason.

The new design is simpler (read cheaper) and will be lighter.

I've ridden both designs and they work well; in my opinion the newer design works better as the rear end can be made very stiff, almost a hard tail so pedal bob is eliminated.

Are you looking to buy the new or older bike, new or used? Whichever you buy, they are a cracking good ride.

Bear in mind the shocks are supposed to be services anualy (cost £ 120) and older ones may not have been so be on their last legs.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The stiffness of the Brain bears no relation to where it's placed. The 2009 change was lighter, in part because they changed the shock design, rather than just the placement.

Some 2007 Epics used Fox Brain Fade shocks, the Marathons and S-Works used Spesh AFR shocks, which were very good. The 2009 ones used a much smaller air can and were very unreliable at first, although seemed to have been sorted in later batches. My 2009 one had 4 shocks in 6 months.

I had 2007, 2008 and 2009 S-Works Epics, and IMO the 2007 was the best!