KMC chain - does it have a masterlink?

carrera_vulcan
carrera_vulcan Posts: 125
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

I want to remove my chain but I can't find a master link. I heard that all KMC and SRAM chains have a master link and that you don't need a chain extractor to remove it. I was looking for a long time for a masterlink but I can't see one. On the chain it says KMC Narrow and that's all. I don't know if that is the model or something else.

Does anyone know how I can remove it and if it really has a masterlink because the rivets don't look like they can be extracted with a tool?

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it has a masterlink it will be fairly obvious.
    And the links will be removeable with a chain tool, as most chains out of the box need shortening.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Alright, thanks.
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    yes it has a 'powerlink' and you can clearly see it if you look properly. It will also split with a conventional chain tool as well.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not always as some places sell chain off a roll with no powerlinks.
    If there was one half would be at each and of the chain, or it would be seperate and pretty obvious.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ian43
    Ian43 Posts: 172
    if there is not a powerlink on the chain then normally the master pin is usually easy to spot as it is slightly darker, give the chain a wipe down and look again.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ian43 wrote:
    if there is not a powerlink on the chain then normally the master pin is usually easy to spot as it is slightly darker, give the chain a wipe down and look again.
    Do KMC use master pins?
  • Thanks for the replies guys. I will inspect more thoroughly but I have a feeling that it does't have a masterlink.

Thanks a lot