Dalby Blue route?

ads678
ads678 Posts: 70
edited September 2011 in Routes
Basically is Dalby blue route really lame and boring, or can it be fun?

I'm going tomorrow with some complete mtb novices. These are all grown men with decent levels of fitness. It's been a few years since i was at Dalby so can't remember what the red route is like. Can i risk them on the red or will they all die, leaving me to explain to their kids why daddy isn't coming home?
GT Avalanche 1.0
Orange Five

Comments

• birchy
    birchy Posts: 309
    Take them on the red, the first half is fairly easy and any little drops they can ride around there is only a couple of sections after dixons hollow that have a couple of drops but you can ride round them its been sanitsied alot over the last couple of years to make it more suitable for your everyday rider unfortunatly though imo :roll:
  • altern_8
    altern_8 Posts: 1,562
    for anyone who rides a lot,the red route will be easy,for novices it will be hard in places,not just the little drop offs,but the climbs as well.

i wouldnt say its been made sanitised to make it more suitable on purpose tho,its been made easy in places by people using it who cant ride sections,so there for,they ride round them,making the chicken runs,i respect youre opinion tho birchy,this is just "imo" :)
  • chalky1
    chalky1 Posts: 30
    Hmmmmm !

I,m all for people riding beyond their capabilities to improve their own levels of fitness and ability BUT i think you should be asking them ?

That said there are plenty of bail outs at Dalby and you are never that far from the Visitor Centre !

Its a bit poor to drag a group around a red route thats targeted towards EXPERT Riders,

I use the term expert loosely and i am not trying to elevate my own ability OR dum down any one elses inability but be considerate, The last time i was at Dalby some idiot had taken his wife and 2 kids down the switcback bermy section and had taken it upon himself to cast his authority upon riders who he thought were showing others trail users no respect and thought that they should slow down when passing his flock :roll:

I will be there Tmrw, Sat !
    Just go ride, take in the views and make sure everyone in the group is comfortouble with the grading and that they know their abilities, I dont remember any drops at Dalby ?

Enjoy
  • chalky1
    Hmmmmm !

I,m all for people riding beyond their capabilities to improve their own levels of fitness and ability BUT i think you should be asking them ?

That said there are plenty of bail outs at Dalby and you are never that far from the Visitor Centre !

Its a bit poor to drag a group around a red route thats targeted towards EXPERT Riders,

I use the term expert loosely and i am not trying to elevate my own ability OR dum down any one elses inability but be considerate, The last time i was at Dalby some idiot had taken his wife and 2 kids down the switcback bermy section and had taken it upon himself to cast his authority upon riders who he thought were showing others trail users no respect and thought that they should slow down when passing his flock :roll:

I will be there Tmrw, Sat !
    Just go ride, take in the views and make sure everyone in the group is comfortouble with the grading and that they know their abilities, I dont remember any drops at Dalby ?

Enjoy
  • lofty102
    lofty102 Posts: 138
    Got my 1st trip to dalby planned for a couple of weeks time, can't wait!! I'll be tackling the red route mainly, any tips or advice from any riders who ride there regularly would be greatly received! Is the World cup circuit still open to the public?

Sorry for the thread hijack!
    2010 Mondraker Factor RR
    2014 canyon ultimate cf 9.0 sl
    2016 Planet x pro carbon
    2017 Scott Spark 730
  • Curly93
    Curly93 Posts: 20
    I did the opening of the red route with my dad and a load of his friends, most of who havent rided offroad in years, they managed ok and had a great laugh. Luckily there was so much snow it cushioned there landings when they did fall off.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    One of the hardest bits of the red route is the first few hundred metres.
    You can avoid this by going along the road for 300m and starting at the Go Ape.

A god beginner trip is start at go ape, continue on red route to dixons hollow and play there.

Then if they are doing well continue to the BIG red downhill, I would advise they all walk the entrance to this (it is serious). Then at the bottom of the big red DH you will be able to see the road a few hundred metres to the left go to this and cycle back to the start.

If you hit the thin wooden humpback bridge you have gone a few hundred metres too far.

Just stressing that the new entrance to the red BIG DH. is not easy (unlike the old one).
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • chalky1
    :shock:

Big red DH ?

Wheres that ?
    Ive never seen anything like that at Dalby !

Can anybody tell me where this serious bit of track is ?
  • altern_8
    altern_8 Posts: 1,562
    chalky1 wrote:
    :shock:

Big red DH ?

Wheres that ?
    Ive never seen anything like that at Dalby !

Can anybody tell me where this serious bit of track is ?

Reading between the lines,i think he /she is on about "medusa",as the red route has been changed around worry gill and other parts that many times over the years.There is a short DH track at the back end of the red route,it can easily be missed.Link to older red route maps HERE,which i still ride some bits of the old red routes when i go up there,the dalby dare this year took in a lot of the old red routes.
  • Medusa Drop is what they are on about.

Its the one we always used to know as "Dirk Diggler" Think about it...

It drops into the junction of tracks near "Cottage Climb" near the hairpin at the lake.
    Whyte E120 Team
    Marin Attack Trail 2004
    Marin Mount Vision 1998
    Canondale CAAD4 2002