Cassette

hallz
hallz Posts: 12
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi - apologies if my question is basic but i am not the most practical of people...!

My chain on my bike has snapped 3 times recently in none to testing circumstances. Annoyed on the last occassion i binned it and bought a new one.

Once fitted, it quicky became apparant that the chain was slipping around the old cassette. I had been warnded that this might happen so i bought a new cassette which i duly changed without any real difficulties.

One thing that was obvious was that the new cassette that i bought had cogs that were smaller in circumference / had less teeth than the old one.

Now when i ride in the easiest gear up hills, it is harder to pedal than it used to be. is that solely due to the smaller cassette or would that not make a difference?

Thanks

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yep, smaller casette sprockets = harder gears, so if the biggest one is smaller than the old it will be harder.

If in doubt, count the number you had and order an equivalent - you only need to know the biggest and the smallest and buy an equivalent. You'll see references to 11-32 and what not.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, if you have smaller gears at the back you have raised the gearing (like selecting second instead of first in a car).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • hallz
    hallz Posts: 12
    Thanks guys

I suspected that was the case but i wanted to get confirmation before spending more money....!