Four HD Camera Review

magnatom
magnatom Posts: 492
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
Hi Guys,

I thought some of you here would be interested in my review of 4 HD helmet cameras. http://www.magnatom.net/p/ultimate-ish-helmet-camera-review-part.html

I wore all four cameras simultaneously. It's worth a look just to see how ridiculous I looked wearing them all!

There are some discount codes as well. :D

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Given the cost of some of these cameras, isn't it a bit of a "miss" not to include the Go-Pro HD? It is, after all, probably the benchmark (certainly the most popular "premium") camera
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • magnatom
    As the review was commissioned I could only do four cameras. I'm happy if someone wants to loan me a gopro to compare that to my Contour GPS (which I bought).

I must admit I don't like the form factor of the GoPro.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I agree that not having a GoPro in the line-up is a huge omission. A bit like reviewing family hatchbacks and not including the VW Golf.

I also agree with Magnatom that the form factor of the GoPro is not good for helmet cam users. Fine in a car or on a chest mount, but on a helmet you'd look like a drone from the Borg Collective!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • magnatom
    The problem was I had to have at least one cheaper camera (DogCam) so I had to go for 3 HD cameras that were helmet mountable, and the GoPro on a helmet, as you say is a bit over the top.

However, as I've said, I am more than happy to test one and compare simultaneous footage from the GoPro and my Contour GPS.

Dogcam are sending me a Dogcam Bullet HD Wide to test. This should solve some of the problems of the standard version.
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    magnatom wrote:
    I wore all four cameras simultaneously. It's worth a look just to see how ridiculous I looked wearing them all!

You just reminded me, I forgot to turn my camera off this morning :roll:

I have the DogCam Bullet HD - well built but the footage and built in mic sucks. I thought the article was good, it was nice to see alternatives to the GoPro even tho that is probably what I'll end up with :wink:
  • meanredspider
    The Go-Pro HD might not be the best shape as a helmet cam though it does have a helmet mount for the front which works fine.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    I will stay with my £12 ones from ebay, the output is as good as these.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • meanredspider
    I will stay with my £12 ones from ebay, the output is as good as these.

:lol::lol::lol:
  • magnatom
    LOL! There is no way that a £12 camera from e-bay will come anywhere close to one of these (I've tried a Muvi and it was pants!). Of course if you know different and I could be convinced that it was possible, I'd happily by one and test it.

You are setting youtube to 1080p mode aren't you? :)
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    The point with the cheap MD80 cameras is that the quality of the video footage is acceptable for most needs. And if your commute is shorter than the runtime of an MD80 they are easily the best option because of their size and light weight.
  • magnatom
    The MD80 etc are IMO a false economy. In ideal conditions, i.e. bright, dry etc they can produce reasonable images. However, it is when you move away from ideal that the problems become apparent.

I found at night, it was next to useless, if it got wet it broke and the battery worked well for a while but then got progressively worse.

If you are buying a camera for evidence, you want the best chance of getting that evidence as possible, therefore, I would suggest within reason, buy the best camera you can afford.

Of course, give it a year or two and HD cameras will be cheaper and better, but if you want a decent one now, you need to pay a bit.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    magnatom wrote:
    The MD80 etc are IMO a false economy. In ideal conditions, i.e. bright, dry etc they can produce reasonable images. However, it is when you move away from ideal that the problems become apparent.

I found at night, it was next to useless, if it got wet it broke and the battery worked well for a while but then got progressively worse.

If you are buying a camera for evidence, you want the best chance of getting that evidence as possible, therefore, I would suggest within reason, buy the best camera you can afford.

Of course, give it a year or two and HD cameras will be cheaper and better, but if you want a decent one now, you need to pay a bit.
    I use a DV007 HD keycam and the quality is pretty good (tho I've not worked out how to upload HD to youtube yet and my editing skills need some work!) but see my vids... (link in sig)
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    But Magna did you get any close passes or record any "incidents"?

Couldn't do this if you were a helmetphobe .......
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Ah JR and his £12 ebay specials. He thinks they are the best thing since sliced bread, but as been pointed out, outside of perfect conditions they are pretty pants. Yes, for the price and size they are amazing, but you get what you pay for and £12 does not buy a quality camera.

I have one and it is gathering dust at the back of a drawer somewhere.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • magnatom
    Part 2 is now live http://www.magnatom.net/p/ultimateish-helmet-camera-review-part-2.html

This is the interesting night time footage. Does cost give you better night time video?
  • magnatom
    Oops! I forgot to update this when I posted part 3. It's here http://www.magnatom.net/p/ultimate-ish-helmet-camera-review-part_20.html

I've also added a review of the Dogcam Bullet HD wide here (http://www.magnatom.net/2011/06/dogcam-bullet-hd-wide.html)

It's better than it's wee brother and I ended up buying it as a rear view camera.

Don't forget there are discount codes on my site (no commission for me unfortunately!)

:)
  • jeremyrundle
    magnatom wrote:

I don't ride at night so £10 for a camera is a better buy than any of these

• magnatom
    Perhaps, but they can't be used when it rains, the batteries often fail after a short while, mine stopped working after a month, and the ability to resolve registration plates is a lot poorer.

I have no personal stake in selling these cameras, just lots of experience in using them. In my experience buying a camera like these is a false economy, but I am happy to be proved wrong.

• jeremyrundle
    magnatom wrote:
    Perhaps, but they can't be used when it rains, the batteries often fail after a short while, mine stopped working after a month, and the ability to resolve registration plates is a lot poorer.

I have no personal stake in selling these cameras, just lots of experience in using them. In my experience buying a camera like these is a false economy, but I am happy to be proved wrong.

Of course they can be used in the rain in fact any downpour, it doesn't take much initiative to place cling film over them, and I have nothing gain to be made from promoting them either.

I have had mine for over a year, use one front and back on both helmets, and have had no problem at all, that equates to 23p a week, and at £10-12 wow what have you to lose trying one if you don't have one or can't afford £100+

If 23p a week is "false economy" god knows, I am glad I don't smoke or drink or gamble, talk about a waste.

Oh and I have dropped my helmet with them on and they still work, even if they didn't I would rather have an accident with a £12 camera than a £100 plus one, £200 fror front and rear, £400 for two helmets, as opposed to my £40!

• magnatom
    Oh, I'm not saying 'if you haven't got the cash don't bother'. For £10 you do get a camera that will work, for a while (I know quite a few folk with broken MD80 clones). For some it is a good introduction to filming whilst riding.

But, at that price point you have to accept that there are a number of compromises and video quality is certainly one of them. I upgraded from a good SD system (a dogcam HQ2 camera). It produces better pics than the MD80 clones, I know as I had them at the same time to compare. However, my contour now has much better video than my old SD system.

I did compare these although I've never published the comparison videos.

As for using cling film in rain..... you've obviously never cycled in Glasgow. Here we have rain that could strip your skin, never mind cling film! :shock: :D
  • jeremyrundle
    magnatom wrote:

As for using cling film in rain..... you've obviously never cycled in Glasgow. Here we have rain that could strip your skin, never mind cling film! :shock: :D

No but I have cycled where I lived, Invergordon, try the real Highlands sometime

regards

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    For £33 I just bought a 720p 808#11 HD cam with an external power supply giving me nearly 3 hours of continous recording time. I'll post some sample footage when I get a chance. Low light quality is impressive as well - not on the level of the Condor HD or GoPro, but certainly clear and stable enough to see everything that's going on. My only criticism is that it obviously has no built in image stabilisation so the image is a bit jerkey and the camera takes a couple of seconds to adjust to different light levels. Apart from that it's a very impressive camera, and that's not just for the price - it's tiny and weighs about 20g making it unnoticable when attached to a helmet.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Mr Plum, can you share details of that camera? Link? Many thanks
  • Mr Plum
    alfablue wrote:
    Mr Plum, can you share details of that camera? Link? Many thanks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11-808HD-Micr ... 4aac488598

That's the camera on its own. The battery works fine for about half an hour but I'm sure it will die out soon and be terrible in cold weather, that's why I went for the package with the black external battery pack. Order from ebay.com in $ as it's a few quid cheaper - mine should have been £40 from ebay uk, end up costing £33 from the USA ebay.

Trying to upload a sample from this mornings commute but I'm at work right now and I'm not sure it'll work...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Mr Plum
    Sample of the 808#11 here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niIv-hX8ZwA

Definitely suffered from being converted to wmv then uploaded to YT.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    I want ZERO LUX headcams :evil:

I bought a Sony handycam Hi-8 zero lux video camera about 10 yrs, it's great quality and night time shots are very,very clear.

Whats stopping helmet cam manufacturers from incorporating that technology (with the aid of a switch), ? Nothing as far as I can see .

Make it happen :)

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Mr Plum
    AndyManc wrote:
    I want ZERO LUX headcams :evil:

I bought a Sony handycam Hi-8 zero lux video camera about 10 yrs, it's great quality and night time shots are very,very clear.

Whats stopping helmet cam manufacturers from incorporating that technology (with the aid of a switch), ? Nothing as far as I can see .

Make it happen :)

Probably the physical size/weight of the hardware and the battery power required to run it. Off the top of my head that's the only reason I can think of.

The Contour HD has very good low light quality though.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Mr Plum wrote:

I'm not impressed with the Contour HD low light performance.

I don't believe size and power consumption is an issues, many bullet cams have a separate PVR , I doubt if latest zero lux technology will impact design on headcams .

The MUVI has the best low light video quality I've seen, but it could/should be much better on all cams.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Mr Plum
    AndyManc wrote:
    Mr Plum wrote:

I'm not impressed with the Contour HD low light performance.

I don't believe size and power consumption is an issues, many bullet cams have a separate PVR , I doubt if latest zero lux technology will impact design on headcams .

The MUVI has the best low light video quality I've seen, but it could/should be much better on all cams.

That's pretty weird because to my experience the exact opposite is true; generally MUVI cams have a very average low light quality while the Contour HD probably has the best low light quality of any helmet cam I've seen.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • MattJ88
    MattJ88 Posts: 41
    http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product ... _id=110355

Good enough picture for the price for someone wanting a basic camera to play with...more footage on Youtube

Only downside is it records in 5 min segments and there is a 1 sec gap inbetween segments