Giro Stage 19 *** spoiler ***

Kléber
Kléber Posts: 6,842
edited May 2011 in Pro race
A big day in the Giro coming up, although not on the level like tomorrow's Alpine stage. It's raining.

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I hope Sly has got his climbing legs on. Seems to be recovering from his illness.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • BarryBonds
    BarryBonds Posts: 344
    nice part of the world, should be a good stage finale if people are scrapping for podium places. I say if because there must be a lot of very tired legs by now
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,641
    It's interesting to watch the battle for the podium and then 5th through 10th are covered by about a minute or so
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Garzelli's last chance to get in a break for a stage win. He'll definitely want the GPM points at Mottarone to keep Contador at a distance in the mountains competition.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Garzelli's last chance to get in a break for a stage win. He'll definitely want the GPM points at Mottarone to keep Contador at a distance in the mountains competition.

Mission accomplished.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Apathy from the bunch.
    They were with 2 minutes and a dozen teams couldn't be bothered.
    Miserable weather to accompany this fare.
    What did Iain call this giro, again?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    - Stefano Garzelli (Acqua&Sapone), Jérôme Pineau (Quickstep), Matteo Rabottini (Farnese Vini) and Lars Ytting Bak (HTC), Mickaël Chérel (AG2R) and Johann Tschopp (BMC)
    - Peloton at 3'34"

Great move by Garzelli to join.

I wish people would shut up if they are unhappy with the racing. Just dont watch it if so. There is always your local 4th cat race you could watch.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    I wish people would shut up if they are unhappy with the racing. Just dont watch it if so. There is always your local 4th cat race you could watch.

Says the man who took every chance he could earlier in the year to say how he wasn't interested in the Tour of California.

It's a blinking awful race. Desperately dull and uninspiring. I haven't watched it since the weekend as the online reports make it sound like a snooze fest.
  • frenchfighter
    Craig Lewis taken away on a stretcher in an ambulance
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    -

I'll not be hearing you complaining about a "lightweight" victory ever again then will I?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    There's another casualty to add to the list. HTC's Craig Lewis stretchered off. Looks like he hit a keep right bollard on a central divide. Glad to see he's moving.
    Weather looks pretty vile.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • frenchfighter
    edited May 2011
    iainf72
    In your opinion. Shame for you I guess.

I didnt right all over the TofC thread in large red letters and mention at every opportunity did I. In fact go and check that thread again to see my contributions.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    We are all entitled to our opinions, so long as they are they don't involved the word "Cavy".
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • iainf72
    I've posted it once.

Do you honestly think this is a good race? Most of the journalists are bored, the fans are bored. Nothing wrong with saying something sucks if it sucks. That's why the good races are all the more precious!
  • frenchfighter
    Pinotti abandoned. Was involved in that crash.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    It's cycling. It's live. If I don't watch this I'd have to watch Diagnosis Murder instead.
  • frenchfighter
    iainf72 wrote:
    I've posted it once.

Do you honestly think this is a good race? Most of the journalists are bored, the fans are bored. Nothing wrong with saying something sucks if it sucks. That's why the good races are all the more precious!

Once and comments here and there otherwise.

I enjoyed last year more but yes I am still enjoying this race.

What would you suggest is lacking to make this a good race? Am I to assume that any race where one person is dominant makes it awful? I dont recall that being the case with the best examples of that this year - Cancellara and Gilbert - in fact quite the opposite. Interest can be drawn in dominance and close calls imo.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    You say the fans are bored - based on what?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    What's our favourite hypocrite on about now?
    Frenchie, who didn't watch the 2005 race, telling us what a great Giro this is, when those of us who have watched it for years and years, know it's a disappointing dud.
    Looks as if Zomegnan is getting the boot, to boot.

afx237vi: I agree that any live race is better than none...................but it's none at the moment.

Based upon knowing what a good Giro should consist of.
  • afx237vi
    Frenchie, who didn't watch the 2005 race, telling us what a great Giro this is, when those of us who have watched it for years and years, know it's a disappointing dud.

afx237vi: I agree that any live race is better than none...................but it's none at the moment.

True. Nice looking finish line though... still better than Diagnosis Murder.
  • frenchfighter
    Garzelli dropped
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Zomegnan's going?
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    The drama has gone since it became clear that they were all racing for second, but it has had some good moments (stage 15 for example was great). It would have been a pretty special race in order to match or exceed last year's humdinger.

Frenchie, why do you have an Avatar picture of ex Eastenders actor Jack Ryder?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Come on the bunny, lets see some of that form from the Tour of Turkey...
  • frenchfighter
    edited May 2011

Based upon knowing what a good Giro should consist of.

Hey dude, avoid replying to me or relating anything you say in your posts to me. It was comical to start but is now getting tiring. Couple more posts like this and I will simply skip yours as soon as I see your ugly avatar (as I do for a good handful already). Dont bother telling me you couldnt care if I did - Im sure you dont; you'd just be wasting time.

In any case you are talking like an old man and it is all a matter of opinion. Wow, race Y in 1983 was absolutely unreal. Therefore it follows that every subsequent race is boring....
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    Tusher wrote:
    Zomegnan's going?

Yup. Strong rumour that the RCS are firing him, right after the race.
    The reason? Answers on a postcard, please.
  • blazing_saddles
    Hey dude, avoid replying to me or relating anything you say in your posts to me. It was comical to start but is now getting tiring. Couple more posts like this and I will simply skip yours as soon as I see your ugly avatar (as I do for a good handful already). Dont bother telling me you could care if I did - Im sure you dont; youd just be wasting time.

Post rubbish and I'll be obliged to reply.
    Stick to analyzing something you understand, like shoe styles and I'll let you be.
    Ugly avatar? Nice prepubescent put down.
  • frenchfighter
    The drama has gone since it became clear that they were all racing for second, but it has had some good moments (stage 15 for example was great). It would have been a pretty special race in order to match or exceed last year's humdinger.

Frenchie, why do you have an Avatar picture of ex Eastenders actor Jack Ryder?

Never heard of that person. Never watched that sort of tv.

Photo from here:
    http://www.grassyknolltv.com/2011/tour- ... R2MLQ7.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    To be fair any race where someone dies is going to struggle from then on whatever. This Giro may not be the best, but its no worse than the majority of TDFs over the years.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Ahhh the 2005 Giro... Now there were a race. I still watch that on DVD a couple of times a year!

There's some twisted knickers in here this afternoon!

Zomegnans departure? He's been humiliated by riders and teams twice in two years, he must have lost his authority.

I think this race has lacked any sort of suspense since Etna and the first week was ruined by the Stage 3 tragedy. Personally, and this is just my view, the race lacks any sort of credibility given that the obviously superior rider shouldn't be riding. How the organisers can allow one man to turn the event into a circus, knowing it would before the start, I don't understand.

I think I've decided that if the AC situation isn't resolved one way or the other by the time the Tour kicks off, I'm not going to watch, for the same reasons.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent