Slick CS7 caused me to slide into the back of a car

snick
snick Posts: 11
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
He was in the lane and braked abruptly, I followed suit but the back wheel locked up instantly and the front started to slide out from under me none of which helped me brake in time. It caused some minor scratching to his vehicle otherwise all is well.

However, what i'm unclear of is the legality of what just happened!

Would I be right in thinking that there's no _legal_ reason for him not being in the cycle lane but is he in contravention of anything?

Also, as a bye the bye, what idiot decided is was a good idea to paint cycle lanes with blue gloss paint.
---

FCN 7: Charge Mixer 2010

Usual commute: Colliers Wood to Hammersmith

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I don't know the lanes in question, but if they are demarked with a solid white line then drivers should not be in them.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Bike tyres are so thin - that a car easily has more braking power.

If he cut in - then I'd say it was his fault - but this sounds to me like you were too close to him ?
  • snick
    Agreed, however I would have been fine stopping had the cycle lane not been painted with gloss paint with an added sheen of dampness from last nights rain.

Only yesterday I had a hairy moment while braking on the blue cycle lane on the South side of Chelsea bridge.
    ---

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    snick wrote:
    Only yesterday I had a hairy moment while braking on the blue cycle lane on the South side of Chelsea bridge.

So you knew the conditions were slippery and still followed the car in front (regardless of if was allowed to be in the cycle lane) too closely?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Too close too fast, always ride to the conditions - blaming the road finish / car in front are poor excuses. If you rear ended my car and caused a load of damage I'd be hacked of.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yup - you knew what the surface was like and still you rode too close.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    So everyone/everything else is to blame except you?
  • desweller
    Legally, he should not have been in the cycle lane. Looking at some photos it's clearly marked out with a solid white lane. If he passed you, cut in and then braked without giving you an opportunity to sort out your stopping distance, then you share no blame for the accident. However, if he was in the lane then you do share some of the responsibility (although not all).
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If he was in the lane then snick has all the responsibility not withstanding that he shouldn;'t have been there, no court would side with the snick on that basis, if he cut in as he braked it's totally different and then there are too many shades of grey to comment given what snick has told us.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • snick
    If he was in the lane then snick has all the responsibility not withstanding that he shouldn;'t have been there, no court would side with the snick on that basis, if he cut in as he braked it's totally different and then there are too many shades of grey to comment given what snick has told us.

I thought as much, just wanted to confirm. It is just that particular 5 metre stretch of the CS that is quite so slick, annoying. Never had a coming together before over 6 years of commuting.
    ---

• desweller
    Where's spen666 when you need him?

Come to think of it, I haven't seen him on here for ages.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    Did the CS7 cycle lane have no line markings, broken white line markings or solid white line markings?
  • snick
    Origamist wrote:
    Did the CS7 cycle lane have no line markings, broken white line markings or solid white line markings?

I'll check on the way back tonight.
    ---

• Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    snick wrote:
    Origamist wrote:

I'll check on the way back tonight.

If you tell me where it happened, I'll prob know what markings are in situ
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    A poor workmn always blames his tools, we all do things wrong, I fell off because I lost it being too close to the car in front, if a car hit you from behind they are too close, what is sauce for the goose, ride according to your bike and conditions.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html