Abus steel o flex

father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
I have a Abus Steel o flex cable, is this secure enough or can it be cut easily? Should I get a decent D lock as well?
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    When it comes to lock advice, I always recommend having a look at this thread (on another forum).
    I think lots of people on there are couriers so their bike is their source of income and they need to make sure it is there when they return to it.

I've just had a re-read of that thread and cable locks are not recommended at all anymore!
    Get a D-lock.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've got a Steeloflex, teamed with a Kryptonite Fahg NY mini. It might be breakable, but it goes through the front wheel and frame, the D lock goes through the back wheel and frame, so it's not my only defence. So far, my bike hasn't been stolen, but that's not really saying much :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I agree with Bails,
    I would think that the Steel O Flex would be OK as a secondary lock to prevent your front wheel going walkabout, but as a primary lock, the letter of the day is 'D'.

Slightly OT:
    I was cycling through Pimlico last week and had a little time to kill so I stopped in the Morpeth for a swift half. Whilst sitting outside enjoying the sun (and keeping an eye on my bike as I only brought a small alarmed padlock with me), a well dressed, well spoken office worker type bloke rides up on a BSO MTB and locks it to the railings. He was carrying a obviously heavy and full rucksack and had a couple of carrier bags hanging off of his handlebars.
    He went into the pub and came out a few moments later, trailing an extension lead? He then plugs in a angle grinder, puts on some safety glasses and cuts through the lock. I was chatting to him as he did it and he seemed legit. He had lost his key a few days earlier (whilst drunk), borrowed a mate's BSO MTB to get to a tool hire shop to get the angle grinder and cut the lock off. It took him about 2 minutes to get through the lock, but he said that if he had practice he could have done it in about 30 seconds.
    He explained what had happened to the pub staff before he started and when he was outside cutting away but he told me that he had no proof that the bike was his and no-one challenged him cutting a lock in broad daylight.

Basically, what I am saying is that even D-locks can be cut quickly if you know what you are doing and the general public won't confront/challenge someone who may be nicking a bike. Depressing really.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    yeah may as well just a £5 cable lock. If it's going to be nicked, no one will stop him, and any thief can cut through thick cable, chain, or D lock in less than a minute
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)