Shimano SLX front shifter query

snerkler
snerkler Posts: 45
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I've just recently got back into biking and bought a Cube Ltd Comp. To operate the rear shifter operates with a quick click of the relevant lever. However to shift up on the front (ie to the larger gear) the shifter is more of a lever rather than a click action. The lever travel is quite far and I'm wondering if there's a way to reduce the amount of travel?
Also is it possible to get a click shift for the front shifter as I'm pretty sure my old bike had this, or is there an advantage for it being more of a lever?
Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it should click and you can not adjust the throw,
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • snerkler
    nicklouse wrote:
    it should click and you can not adjust the throw,
    It clicks right at the end of the movement, by which time my thumb is about at the end of its range of motion.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try adjusting the cable.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • snerkler
    cooldad wrote:
    Try adjusting the cable.
    Would this not affect the way it shifts?
  • 3Bears
    3Bears Posts: 65
    However to shift up on the front (ie to the larger gear) the shifter is more of a lever rather than a click action.

Isn't this because it's pulling cable tighter rather than letting cable go? So, there will always be a lever and clicker? Newbie here, but that's what I assumed.
  • snerkler
    3Bears wrote:
    However to shift up on the front (ie to the larger gear) the shifter is more of a lever rather than a click action.

Isn't this because it's pulling cable tighter rather than letting cable go? So, there will always be a lever and clicker? Newbie here, but that's what I assumed.
    It's more of a click for the rear shifter, even when shifting to a bigger gear. Obviously on the front there's more of a jump so would expect more of a lever action, but the travel is much more than I'd expect. As I said my thumb's just about at full flexion in order to shift, which is much more than I'm used to. But maybe this is the way bikes are these days?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    snerkler wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Try adjusting the cable.
    Isn't that what you are complaining about?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    As soon as the thumb shifter moves, does the chain shifter move, or do you have some slack before it takes up?
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • snerkler
    cooldad wrote:
    snerkler wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Try adjusting the cable.
    Isn't that what you are complaining about?
    Kind of I guess, but it's more the travel of the lever in order to make it shift, rather than the shift mechanism itself. Numerous times now I have shifted to a larger chain set, let go of the lever and it's dropped down to a lower chainset again. Obviously user error as I've not pushed it all the way home, but in order to press it home (to obtain the click) the movement is excessive imo.
    I think I'll nip back to the shop at some point and let them have a look. It might just be the way that it is and something I have to get used to. I've never had a bike that requires so much movement to engage a gear though.
  • snerkler
    As soon as the thumb shifter moves, does the chain shifter move, or do you have some slack before it takes up?
    Pass, I'll check this weekend :oops:
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    Try ajusting the shifter positon on your bars, by this I meant rotate it so your thumb doesn't have to stretch as far.
  • paul20v
    paul20v Posts: 267
    UncleMonty wrote:
    Try ajusting the shifter positon on your bars, by this I meant rotate it so your thumb doesn't have to stretch as far.
    :lol: That was going to be my suggestion as well .
  • snerkler
    I'll try that as well, thanks. Like I said, it might just be the way shifters are these days, it's just I've never had one that you've had to push so far. I'll check for 'free play' and change the position and see how I get on. If I'm still not happy I'll pop down to the shop, and if he says that that's the way it's supposed to be I guess I'm just going to have to get used to it and stop being so lazy with the old thumb lol
  • SpiCan
    SpiCan Posts: 31
    UncleMonty wrote:

+ 1 on this.
    Rotate the leaver a bit back. So you push down.

Time VXS, Spi Roubaix Elite, Cannondale Caffeine F2,
    S Works Stumpjumper fsr, Dahon folding.
  • snerkler
    So after looking at the bike today the shifters are already positioned in a way as to minimise thumb movement. There is quite a bit of free play in the shifter before the cable 'bites', ie quite a lot of movement (I'd guess in the region of 10mm) before any resistance is felt. Is this normal? If not how do I remove this 'free play'?
    Cheers
  • SpiCan
    SpiCan Posts: 31
    Yes, just went outside and moved mine.

Time VXS, Spi Roubaix Elite, Cannondale Caffeine F2,
    S Works Stumpjumper fsr, Dahon folding.
  • snerkler
    SpiCan wrote:
    Yes, just went outside and moved mine.

Ok thanks.
  • snerkler
    So I went to the bike shop yesterday and informed it's normal. The guy said they've changed the design and there is more leverage. I tried a couple of other cubes with the SLX and they were the same. So it's just something I'm going to have to get used to. Maybe I'm just evolutionally underdeveloped and my opposable thumbs aren't advanced enough lol