Chain maintenance for continually wet bike

mjd611
mjd611 Posts: 46
edited May 2011 in Workshop
I need some advice please. I help at a rowing club which has some bikes for coaches to go along a towpath. The bikes get wet, muddy, dusty etc depending on weather. It is not practical to properly degrease, clean and lube the chain all the time as some people won't know what they are doing or are in a rush to get home so I'm looking for some maintenance which whilst isn't ideal, is quick for everyone to do.

I was thinking maybe wipe with oily rag or perhaps spray with gt45 and then spray with 3-in-one aerosol. I understand this isn't ideal but we need to do something and I don't fancy being the one who is always cleaning bikes.

Thanks for the help.Matt

Comments

• hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    How about buying a stock of baby wipes to clean the chain? There is always one brand or other on offer in the supermarket. They are good for wiping over the chain to clean off the gunk and then you could re-lube the chain after each ride.
  • PeterBL
    PeterBL Posts: 209
    Maybe some rustproof chains? I have found them to make a huge difference during the winter. The chains are much more tolerant and don't need a thorough cleaning after every ride.

KMC do some fine ones (both treated steel and proper stainless steel), and also Connex/Wippermann (the only ones I have seen for 10 speed).
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Chainguards?

Mind your wheel rims and brakes when you're spraying oil around.

TBH the bikes are real beaters aren't they; not gonna be doing big distance or heavy duty so your proposed 'maintenance' schedule is probably OK! Bikes can take a lot of abuse before they give up the ghost.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm guessing you're mainly rowing on the flat?? :wink:

Singlespeeds with rustproof chains; occasional wipe with an oily rag. Or have you considered belt drives? Maintenance free!