Help - Right Crank Arm for Hub Gear Bike

PudseyPaul
PudseyPaul Posts: 59
edited May 2011 in The workshop
Hi all

I have a bianchi camaleonte alfine 2009 hybrid hub gear bike. On the commute home this evening i found my right foot twisting around. I thought it might be my spd cleats coming loose and twisting in the pedal, however these were fine.
I noticed it was the pedal which had come half loose from the right crank arm, it had also stuck at an angle. I eventually got the pedal off and its ok, but the thread in the crank are mis ruined.

Therefore does anyone know whether I can get a right crank bit on its own or do you have to buy the whole chainset? It only has one chainring at the front as its a hub geared bike. The cranks at the moment are prowheel alloy ones?

Also, if they can be bought alone, any idea how much they start at? Going to take it down to bike shop in morning but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    Sounds like time for an upgrade :) and do your pedals up tight this time, with a dab of grease for good measure.

Quick google implies a replacement shouldn't be too expensive.
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    SJS Cycles are usually quite good for this sort of thing.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    You have to know what you are buying. All cranks do not fit on all square taper bottom brackets - you get two types of taper.

It might be just as well to buy a complete new crankset, with left and right cranks. However, any square taper crank will fit on if the pattern of taper is the same.

And cranks come in different lengths ... the left has to be the same length as the right!
  • cyclingpast
    cyclingpast Posts: 111
    I had the same problem a few months ago. Used it as the perfect excuse for a new chainset; that and it's very difficult to find replacement crank arms (might be easier for you with a single front chainring)
    Giant Defy 3
    FCN 5

All wrenching and no riding makes me frickin' angry...
  • PudseyPaul
    PudseyPaul Posts: 59
    hi all

thanks for the advice. I have come to the conclusion that im going to go for a new chainset on the bianchi camaleonte.
    However, i have seen the shimano alfine chainset, which is only 68 quid. Only thing is there is advice on the websites about whether a type of chainset is compatible with the bike etc?

Basically what I want to know is would this chainset fit my alfine hub gear bianchi camaleonte bike (2009)? I dont have a clue about the type of bottom bracket it has!

Also, do i need any special tools other than allen keys to remove my current one and fit the new one?
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    Nicklouse's link to Park Tools:-
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help
    covers what tools and how to use them
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc