Need Front mech for 2 x 10 Setup - what config?

myopic
myopic Posts: 692
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Putting togther a spec for a new build. Frame spec requires 34.9 clamp, traditional mount, bottom pull. So far so good.

Thinking about SRAM X9 2 x10 chainset and matching X9 shifters.

My questions:

1. Would an Shimano XT x10 mech be compatible with this proposed set up?

2. For Shimano, I guess Traditional Mount = Conventional Mount as opposed to Top Swing?

3. For SRAM, is Tradtional Mount equivalent to Low Clamp or HIgh Clamp? I'm guessing its high...

Would appreciate some guidance on this, thanks!
You don't need eyes to see, you need vision

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12733834

might help.

Trad mount is Band mount rather than Direct mount.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • myopic
    Thanks, Nick. I had seen that but it didn't really answer my questions! I'm up to speed with shifters and rear mech compatability, and most of the 9 speed 10 speed compatability issues. My confusion is primarily over the mounting, but thanks for the clarifcation about trad = band.

If I went for Shimano, I don't know if front mech shoud be Conventional or Top Swing? and if so, which would work with SRAM X9 2x10 set up

For SRAM, I don't understand whether Low clamp or high clamp would be right. Is it a case of either would work, but one just looks neater?
  • nicklouse
    again in the link. any will work.

top/bottom swing is fram related and will be the same as for 9 or 8 or 7 speed.

all it is in both S's is a way to say where the band is.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • myopic
    I think I may have caused confusion :oops: with reference to x9 and x10.... I was talking about the crank model X-9 (not 9 speed) in the 2x10 configuration, ditto for shifters X-9, not 9 speed.
    ie

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... roducts-UK

I understand that top/bottom pull is frame related, that's all clear.

So you are saying that either SRAM Low Clamp or High Clamp models would work with the proposed config, as long as the pull is right, and either conventional or top swing would work with Shimano?
  • nicklouse
    edited May 2011
    no confusion on my part.

and it makes no difference as it is a frame issue not a compatibility issue.

any and all of the four will work with either of the two shifters.
    4. Nine speed front dérailleurs can be used with 10 speed front shifters, but do not work optimally if used with a 10 speed crankset. Nine speed front dérailleurs and cranksets can be used with 10 speed chains and front shifters. A nine speed shifter can be used to shift a 10 speed dyna sys front dérailleur.

as above.
  • myopic
    Thanks