Fitting Thule 591 bike racks

zebedoo
zebedoo Posts: 19
edited June 2013 in MTB general
Hi

I've just bought 2 Thule 591 bike racks. With 2 on the roof, do you install them with the main adjustment dial on each rack at opposite ends of the car, to allow for the dial to be facing outwards? Or is there a left and right specific rack and I've screwed up my purchase?!

Thanks lots

Comments

• darren555
    darren555 Posts: 194
    Dial facing outwards so that the driver's side bike is facing forwards & the passenger side bike is facing backwards.
    You can have them both facing the same direction but adjusting a dial on the inside is very awkward.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Darren555 wrote:
    Dial facing outwards so that the driver's side bike is facing forwards & the passenger side bike is facing backwards.
    You can have them both facing the same direction but adjusting a dial on the inside is very awkward.

Aye and by doing this you can squeeze the bikes closer together as the handlebars are at opposite ends, or at least they wont be bashing against each other during transit.
  • matt748
    matt748 Posts: 194
    Like the instructions show, you can have both facing the same way with the dials still on the outside by changing the fitments around. :D

Trek Fuel EX8 '09
    My Pics
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    Changing them around is a doddle
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • shortcuts
    shortcuts Posts: 366
    I am having serious difficulty turning my 591 around for the passenger side of my car. It looks all wrong, is forward of the drivers side and I cannot understand 'Ikea' type instructions that came with it.
    Also I am unable to access the link above to see if these are better instructions. Help needed please before I end up destroying this rack lol. :(
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what actual problem are you having?

did not find it to hard myself.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • shortcuts
    nicklouse wrote:
    what actual problem are you having?

did not find it to hard myself.
    I have done it but the passenger side one is further forward than the drivers side and just doesn't 'look' right to me.
    Also the passenger side base plate seems to be on the wrong side of the wing bar.
    Does that make sense?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no.

with out pics it is hard to imagine what you have done.

mine swaped over fine.

img1251uq.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • shortcuts
    nicklouse wrote:
    no.

mine swaped over fine.
    I have swapped one over but the front plate holding the winding mechanism fits on the forward, leading edge of the wingbar so that the whole 591 is now sitting further forward of the one on the drivers side (RH drive).
    I assumed that both would line up as exact opposites but that is not the case. As it is at the moment it actually looks insecure to me.
    Unfortunately I am unable to see from your image if yours is fitted the same or I am doing something wrong. I would prefer to have both bikes forward facing but as it stands I am thinking it would be safer to have the left (passenger side) bike facing opposite.
  • i fitted 2 to my fiesta.

swapped the passenger side around so the dial it facing out and the bike faces forward.

the rack does sit about 4/5 inches further forward, but thats because of the way the bracket seems to work.

i cant tell any drop in security or stability.

ive done 70/75mph in reasonable winds on the motorway and they were fine?

much easier than pulling both wheels to fit bikes inside a fiesta! :lol:
  • shortcuts
    edited June 2013
    i fitted 2 to my fiesta.

swapped the passenger side around so the dial it facing out and the bike faces forward.

the rack does sit about 4/5 inches further forward, but thats because of the way the bracket seems to work.

i cant tell any drop in security or stability.

ive done 70/75mph in reasonable winds on the motorway and they were fine?

much easier than pulling both wheels to fit bikes inside a fiesta! :lol:
    When you swap it around though does the front plate (the one with the frame clamp attached) sit 'forward' of the other rack such that it looks a bit precarious in that it is on the leading edge of the roof bar?
    Mine just doesn't look right to me so I feel I must be doing something wrong.
    I have searched the net for more 'user friendly' fitting instructions but all I can find is the 'Ikeaish' ones that come with the rack. Was hoping to find maybe a youtube how to or at least something more useful. No joy however and I am becoming just a tad frustrated. So much so that I think I am going to refit it so that the passenger side bike faces backwards. Not something I really wanted. I hate these type of instruction manuals. Never been able to get on with them!
    A pic of the rack on the drivers side (RH Drive, UK car)
    imag0085gr.jpg
    A pic of the one on the passenger side which I have turned to have both bikes facing forwards.
    imag0086jc.jpg
    Does that look as it should to you? It looks wrong to me and possibly a bit precarious. Doesn't appear to sit right in my view. Opinions/advice welcomed and appreciated.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    nicklouse wrote:

I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • shortcuts
    cooldad wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Pictures added. Hope this makes my enquiry clearer.
  • unquestioned
    unquestioned Posts: 172
    I see nothing wrong, it's the T-piece that is clamped onto the bar. Did exactly the same on my mates wingbars, 500 miles with 3 bikes & some sketchy driving and no issues.
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    I have 2 x 591s that sit like that but I slid the base piece (with the dial on it) forward to level up the racks. So now they sit level.
  • shortcuts
    I see nothing wrong, it's the T-piece that is clamped onto the bar. Did exactly the same on my mates wingbars, 500 miles with 3 bikes & some sketchy driving and no issues.
    Thanks' for that. You have put my mind at rest. I will now stop worrying and enjoy the ease with which I can now transport my bikes. :D
  • shortcuts
    paul_mck wrote:
    I have 2 x 591s that sit like that but I slid the base piece (with the dial on it) forward to level up the racks. So now they sit level.
    Thanks' for that. You have put my mind at rest. I will now stop worrying and enjoy the ease with which I can now transport my bikes. :D
  • and just to echo... thats how mine sits too..

albeit i have ford oval bars on my rack.

i did think it was a bit of a shit design... they could have come up with at least a more aesthetically satisfying setup...

but.. its worked fine so far! couple of trips of about 1.5 hours at 70-75 on the motorway and i havent had an issue so far..

much easier than carrying an XL frame bike inside a fiesta!! :lol: