Hope Mono Mini Issues

antop34
antop34 Posts: 62
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

my 2003 Hope Mono Minis have lost all of their power. After a good bleed and new pads I am still able to pull the levers to the bar plus the fronts brake fluid becomes cloudy after a few rides.
There dont seem to be any noticeable leaks, and the fluid level is pretty high when the resevoir caps are removed, no kinks in the hoses, which are both goodridge braided and i am using hope floating rotors. Does anyone have ANY advice?
cheers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Cloudy fluid indicates water is getting in. DOT fluids used here take on water, including stuff you may have had a while in your garage so is worth replacing for new stuff from time to time.

Sounds like a faulty seal somewhere.
  • tofu21
    tofu21 Posts: 359
    supersonic wrote:
    Sounds like a faulty seal somewhere.

that's what my money be on.
  • antop34
    antop34 Posts: 62
    ok cool, new seal kit is a bit cheaper than a new set of brakes!
    Just wondering, in my last Hope bleed kit they didnt send out the deeper seals, just the rim seals, any idea on where to get a good bleed kit from? plus i dont like having to connect to a pump etc
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like air in the system to me.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • wheelygood
    wheelygood Posts: 101
    U don't need a special bleed kit for Hope - just a bit of hose for the bleed nipple. If no leak at caliper seals - there are seals at the master cyclinder end on the lever plunger. This can be rebuilt - you will needa good pair of circlip pliers to get into it tho'. DOT fluid loves absorbing water so if it is a bottle already openend and left on the shelf it can quickly go off. Try some new stuff.