Shimano LX/Hone rings on Raceface Evolve cranks. <2007

konadawg
konadawg Posts: 447
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Friend of mine is trying to fit the above.

He says the middle ring won't fit, the 'steps' on the inner circumference of the rings don't mate well, basically the radius on the ring is smaller than the radius of the spider, by about one mil, so the ring won't seat.

Don't know whether to ask if this is "normal" - I have not seen anything yet, but I suppose that what is obvious is obvious and he knows what he's seeing/saying.

1) OK - am I correct in assuming that the location of the rings and the torque transmission is all a function of the retaining bolts, and hence, if we want to make things fit we can just grind off the 'steps' on the ring and be done with?

Secondly - it is the middle ring that is worn. Existing rings are RF.

2) Are there any issues re fitting just one Shimano middle and leaving the RF outer/inner rings in place?
Giant Reign X1

Comments

• richsal
    richsal Posts: 3
    anybody knows anything about this - i have just encountered this problem myself

maybe i should grind that 1mm down and c wat happens
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    take a file to it. the shoulders have different diameters inner and outer and make from make. but the two seem to be the same differences.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • konadawg
    Thanks Nick, will do.
    Giant Reign X1
  • konadawg
    One more Nick so this is OK too?

2) Are there any issues re fitting just one Shimano middle and leaving the RF outer/inner rings in place?
    Giant Reign X1