Seat post clamp direction

RowCycle
RowCycle Posts: 367
edited May 2011 in Workshop
Hello,

First post, and probably an already discussed topic but I couldn't spot it.

I've heard that you should put the screw of your seat post clamp (clamp between seat post and bike frame) in the opposite position to the opening in the frame (i.e. so the seat post clamp is on backwards).

How important is it to do this?

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    edited May 2011
    not important at all

I do it the other way round myself as does virtually every other bike manufacturer on the planet.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Never heard that one myself! Have I been doing it wrong for 40 odd years??
  • hagar123
    hagar123 Posts: 369
    I have heard people suggest this for a carbon post that you should have the direction of the clamp as you suggested. I would be interested in people's opinion on this, as the leaflet I recieved with my Thomson seat clamp also suggested this as good practice
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is often recommended by frame/seatpost makers where one or both parts are carbon.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That'll be why it never applied to me then!
  • DaveHudson
    DaveHudson Posts: 290
    Yeah it's something I have heard before but I'm damned if I know where I heard it. I put the clamp the "wrong" way round on my bike when I fitted a carbon seatpost.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    They say this so you dont get localised pinching at the slot which can crush a carbon post (I know I have done it :( )

The problem with this is, frankly, it looks gash!

The solution is one of these

http://www.probikekit.com/uk/frames-for ... clamp.html

It has an inner sleeve that evens out the clamping pressure
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    what about if you use a seat post shim. Are you supposed line up both slots the same or have the shim slot at 90 degrees to the seat post slot?

*edit I meant 180 degrees :oops:
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Place it opposite, seen one in headset and seatpost..
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367

I know. Which is why I don't understand why frame manufacturers don't put the slot on the front or side...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    RowCycle wrote:

I know. Which is why I don't understand why frame manufacturers don't put the slot on the front or side...

a lot of MTB frame have it this way. Why? to keep the crud out. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I've got the clamp on the 'wrong way round' on my commuter so that I could fit a second set of lights to the seat post. Doesn't seem to be any better or worse - the seat stays in place.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    I now have mine on with the clamp at front on my steel frame but not on the carbon. You can buy clamps with offset bolts that look right. Some manufacturers are even putting two clamps one above the other like a lock ring.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo