front caliper adjustment

sparky.2002
sparky.2002 Posts: 118
edited June 2011 in MTB general
had problems with front pads rubbing on disc.
loosened bolts on caliper and set about adjusting mounting position with wheel spinning to fine tune.

ouch!!!

IMAG0040.jpg

thought i'd chopped finger tip off at time!!

luckily its just a deep cut and a broken finger tip.

had a night in hospital and a quick op to open the finger up and clean it out.

I'm a clumsy idiot!

Comments

• jimexbox
    jimexbox Posts: 200
    The old finger in the rotor injury? I've been there, though nowhere near as bad as that.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    You got away lightly. I met a bike tech at Swinley who was minus a 1/3 of his finger from "rotor related negligence"
    Get well soon and invest in some Mechanix gloves if you're going to undertake any work on moving parts
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Ah it does properly hurt. at least when I did mine the blood was like using isproponol on the rotor :roll:
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • sparky.2002
    Avid juicy3s are pissing me right off. Pistons sticking, rotor rub, rear rotor squeals with light pressure, and shakes frame and my back side with high pressure. Front rotor rubs everytime wheel is removed/replaced from transportation.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    welcome to the world of disc brakes.

are you using the pad spacer when the wheels are off?

it helps and they should have come with the bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Raymondavalon
    edited May 2011
    Avid juicy3s are pissing me right off. Pistons sticking, rotor rub, rear rotor squeals with light pressure, and shakes frame and my back side with high pressure. Front rotor rubs everytime wheel is removed/replaced from transportation.

As nick stated, you should have gotten two red wedge shaped pad spacers
    These not only keep the pads adequately apart during transportation/maintenance but also serve as a brake pad insertion tool, make pad replacement quick and easy

discspacer1small.jpg

Noisy / squeaky brakes can be caused by a few things, usually contaminated pads. My rear Avid Code became real noisy a while back and pad replacement didn't help. It needed a rotor replacement as the rotor was worn. that resolved the issue. Bear in mind, rotors to wear too..
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the juicy ones are different to that. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Raymondavalon
    nicklouse wrote:
    the juicy ones are different to that. :wink:

Yea, original reply fixed with the correct one as there are no photos of the Juicy/Code version online

That's mine with the Code Pads inserted in the installation end. I carry this in my under seat bag!
  • sparky.2002
    No spacers I'm afraid. Ill make something for future. Been out today for an 18 mile run, 12 miles in and front pad starts rubbing randomly. Slammed anchors on a couple of times and it went. Pads are all brand new, may try and clean disc again.
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    I have the same probs with the same brakes.
    Got them set up perfectly prior to taking the bike for repair at Halfords... Some tit then squeezed both brakes while it was in for repair and now I'm back to square one.

Also have no spacers.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Raymondavalon
    No spacers I'm afraid. Ill make something for future. Been out today for an 18 mile run, 12 miles in and front pad starts rubbing randomly. Slammed anchors on a couple of times and it went. Pads are all brand new, may try and clean disc again.

What brand of pads are you using?
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    Just somethnig to bear in mind. If the paint around the reservoir top cap on the levers has bubbled and come away then you've got a brake fluid leak(Juicy 3s). Send them back to the SRAM tech centre and they'll send something better out (Elxiir 5s). Just thought I'd let you know as I had a number of problems with them and spent laods of time trying to fix them but then noticed the fluid leak so I just sent them back. I've since got some Formulas which seem to be better.
  • sparky.2002
    Just somethnig to bear in mind. If the paint around the reservoir top cap on the levers has bubbled and come away then you've got a brake fluid leak(Juicy 3s). Send them back to the SRAM tech centre and they'll send something better out (Elxiir 5s). Just thought I'd let you know as I had a number of problems with them and spent laods of time trying to fix them but then noticed the fluid leak so I just sent them back. I've since got some Formulas which seem to be better.

Yeah the master cylinders have bubbled up. Doubt I'll be able to blag some new ones out of sram tho. Bought bike 2nd hand at Christmas. Bet its at least 2 year old
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648

Yeah the master cylinders have bubbled up. Doubt I'll be able to blag some new ones out of sram tho. Bought bike 2nd hand at Christmas. Bet its at least 2 year old
    you never get if you don't ask :wink:
  • sparky.2002
    tried - failed . I am contemplating ebaying the brakes (a set recently went for £67 + postage).
    would replace with bb7's purely for the adjustability you get. had hayes mx-4's before and they were a lot less hassle.