Mobile phones and iPods should require an operators license

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Why is it that people consider it safe to walk along eyes glued tot a credit card sized screen? Would they be happy wandering along with a flat screen TV strapped to their face?

Why is it OK as a pedestrian to stop dead regardless of where you are, who's behind you or what you're blocking to respond to a text?

How can you justify walking along a cycle lane or canal path with your ears plugged whilst Madame GooGoo grunts about pokers; so being immune to bells, shouts and possibly even airzounds?

In the same way that it is illegal to drive a car using a moble handset I would similarly make it an offence to do any of the above unless sat down. Out of the way. Ideally cross legged.
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    but walking would be sooo boring if I wasn't able to play Plants vs Zombies whilst doing it. :lol:
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Evolution takes a while and the human race on the whole hasn't discovered that you cant walk and interact with a 2" screen safely. Two options:

1, Write the "Look where you're going, TWONK!" App.

2, A 21st century rewrite of the Not The Nine O'clock News walking into a lampost sketch
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Evolution takes a while and the human race on the whole hasn't discovered that you cant walk and interact with a 2" screen safely. Two options:

1, Write the "Look where you're going, TWONK!" App.

2, A 21st century rewrite of the Not The Nine O'clock News walking into a lampost sketch

I think I must be more evolved. I have this thing called peripheral vision, it's real fancy and it means that I can notice people around me even with my head tilted down a bit. Wouldn't try it while crossing a road but I'm able to dodge inanimate objects quite well.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • SimonAH
    You're a damn site more evolved than most of the People of Walmart that I end up dodging and swearing at under my breath most days then!

• MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    iPete wrote:
    but walking would be sooo boring if I wasn't able to play Plants vs Zombies whilst doing it. :lol:

Well if its plants v zombies okay then. Love that game.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    attach nerf gun (or equivalent) to your bike to zap pedestrians as they get in the way...omg that would be awesome :)
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Hmmm - I watched a nodder run through some red lights ahead of me, ipod on, earphones in. Anyway, he fairly obviously did not hear the bus that very nearly flattened him as he drifted through the red lights....anyway, he was caught and dispatched within 100 yards.

I know allot of people cycle with music on, and thats their lookout. But you do tend to utilise all your senses when on the road.....hearing a siren at distance, for example, gives you a heads up to have a look around and assess space and what other traffic is doing. I know there will be an argument for people listeining to stereo systems in cars, and I drive my car with music on. But I think the ambient nature of the car speaker vs music direct into ear makes it easier to hear external influences in the car.

Personally, I won't take the risk of using the iPod whilst cycling. Too much distraction from the music and I think you limit a key sense that you use more than you think. Also, if there were to be an incident, the Police may take a view on using a device whilst on a bike.

Anyway, back to the point! yes, I agree! Zombiefied walking is annoying - particularly when you have a buggy and dog with you and some muppet is simply taking up the whole pavement......Wilma, attack!!!!!
  • richVSrich wrote:
    attach nerf gun (or equivalent) to your bike to zap pedestrians as they get in the way...omg that would be awesome :)

I completely diagree with this - a sensless waste of nerf-bullets :shock: :shock:
    However, a supersoaker... :lol:
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    richVSrich wrote:

I completely diagree with this - a sensless waste of nerf-bullets :shock: :shock:
    However, a supersoaker... :lol:

One of my colleagues is "upgrading" his nerf rifle - has been asking me to get hold of a spring from an AR-15 assault rifle for him (scared that he might get hunted by the Police for buying firearms parts - I have a firearms licence!). Apparently it can shoot up to 150ft with this new spring. He also intends to rifle the barrel somehow to improve accuracy.....
  • SimonAH
    One day I must demonstrate the Taternator MK11 for you - using nothing more than a cannibalized piezo lighter, some plastic drain tubing and a squirt of Tesco's "Natural Hold" hairspray it will fire a whole King Edward at a quite terrifying velocity.

In the prototype stage I shot my fridge in the kitchen by accident.

Cue new fridge. In best Michael Caine voice it did, in fact, blow the bloody door off!

MrsAH not best pleased as I recall!

• SimonAH
    One day I must demonstrate the Taternator MK11 for you - using nothing more than a cannibalized piezo lighter, some plastic drain tubing and a squirt of Tesco's "Natural Hold" hairspray it will fire a whole King Edward at a quite terrifying velocity.

In the prototype stage I shot my fridge in the kitchen by accident.

Cue new fridge. In best Michael Caine voice it did, in fact, blow the bloody door off!

MrsAH not best pleased as I recall!

• Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    I refer you to my comments in the 'Shared Ped/Cycle Path thread about the absolute right of peds to be anywhere and do anything they want. Sorry, but we've got to just live with it!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I refer you to my comments in the 'Shared Ped/Cycle Path thread about the absolute right of peds to be anywhere and do anything they want. Sorry, but we've got to just live with it!

Common sense and their own sense of self-preservation should tell them it is not always wise to do whatever they want to though.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I saw an app that used the camera on the rear to show the user what they were about to walk in to. Basically the text on screen was super-imposed over the video coming from the camera.

Good idea for avoiding walking into bollards etc.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    oh dear, i think i've started an arms race ;)

dont want this to turn into some silly james bond tech (i'm soooo going to be shot down for saying this now aren't i?)
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Use the three step rule (Behavioral Conditioning):

1: Have you bike make noise; freewheel

2: Make extra noise

3: Shout "On you left" "Move" or "Incoming"

Eventually you'll train all the peds that regularly use your route to dodge on hearing a bike coming. Others will follow the herd once enough of the get into the habit.

Then you only have to worry about the occassional users.

Canvas the relevant "authorities to add walk to the right" (as peds are required to on the public highway when there is no foot path) to all shared bike path signage and eventually the peds will get herded into line as the cycling populace expands.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.