Losing shower access!!

richVSrich
richVSrich Posts: 527
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Basically my office will be losing shower access soon (ish) though I have had no official confirmation of when exactly...

So i'm not quite sure how to go about cycling in (going home is easy)

Any tips?? (it's a decent ebough 7.5 mile trip - but dont say take it easy, i just cant do that!!)

Also hanging up gear is going to be interesting! :)

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    wet wipes? as a bit of a wash when you get in work?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • SEone
    SEone Posts: 6
    I have carry a second t-shirt to put on, but before I do I have a quick sit in front of my desk fan to cool down and stop sweating. Then I change (with a blast of anti-p if needs be).

When it starts getting wetter I have a full outfit of (oldish) clothes secreted away in a drawer, just in case you get completely soaked.

I would ask your colleagues if they'd mind you hanging your gear in the office somewhere out of the way?
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Hand bason wash, I did it for six months before we relocated (again).

Disabled toilets are very handy for this, but you just have to keep a respectful eye out if they are needed properly.
  • finnj6
    finnj6 Posts: 45
    this might be your solution :lol:
    http://bestcampingshowers.com/
    Lappiere X-Control 210
    Columbus X-Wing
    Fuji track
    Treck 1500 with Campag
    Soon to be Colnago Masters
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Time to polish the CV!
  • richVSrich
    cheers for the tips all!

i will def have a complete change of clothes with me

there are no disabled toilets (at least as far as i know...)

and we do have a tap in the carpark i think! hehehe
  • richVSrich
    notsoblue wrote:
    Time to polish the CV!

lol!
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Where is your office and why are the pulling shower access? If in London and within one mile from end of a superhighway and it's being pulled for cost reasons it's worth seeing if you can get grant from TFL. They will also provide racks and training.

Also what is your companies business? We are a service based company, a lots of tenders we respond to now ask us if we have environmental policies, if we have and cycle 2 work scheme and if we promote cycling! If your company responds to tenders might be worth having a word with the sales director.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    All replies seem to accept loss of facilities, is there any chance of fighting it.

What made your employer take this step or is he going to do it?

Why not sit around the office without showering and leave your clothes in inapproptiate places. Fight goddam it fight, dont just give in. :twisted: :twisted:
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Yeah, why the loss of facilities? I would kick up a stink... Otherwise can you join a gym round the corner for the shower facilities? They may offer a reduced rate...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    richVSrich wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Time to polish the CV!

lol!
    I'm only half joking :) If my employer removed shower access despite my protestations, I'd be looking elsewhere. Its a basic necessity imo.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Cycle more slowly?

Controversial I know ;)
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    what's a shower? I use a basin for my near 15mile each way journey
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    notsoblue wrote:
    richVSrich wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Time to polish the CV!

lol!
    I'm only half joking :) If my employer removed shower access despite my protestations, I'd be looking elsewhere. Its a basic necessity imo.

Me too. I would have to shower at my gym which is about a mile away and that would add at least 30-45 mins to my morning schedule (get to the gym, shower, dress, back to the office slowly, so's not to get sweaty again). I would certainly consider other job opps more favourably....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Fight your corner, but these things tend to happen once they've been announced.

Next best bet. Get a face flannel & a tub of Morrisons Anti-bacterial soap {500ml tub with a squirter on top) or similar, and then do the strip wash in the nearest available loo. As long as you get the pits, small of the back & the [ahem] dangly parts clean you'll survive the day without adverse comment. A bit of your favourite deodorant to finish and job's a good un. I do this after blitzing the 21 mile commute in minimum time possible; it works.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Oh this goes without saying I hope, shower before you leave in the morning and wear clean cycling clothing. That way sweat is fresh and no worse than sweating on the northern line for 40 mins in the morning. Dirt and Grime from the road is another matter, as is rain..
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just change? I do 6.6 miles and have never had any facilities, so I just change (quick squirt from a wash in a can in the pits...)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    No shower here and they just moved my locker from a diabled lav where you could have sripdown wash if you wanted to the gents, where I think I'd get some funny looks.

Just cycle efficiently, wear clean clothes etc - and use shower in a can:

bacondeo.jpg
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    If you want to campaign to keep the showers, then the reason " because I cycle to work" wont hit the right buttons. In most companies, cycling is not seen as normal and most management are very suspicious of "cycling types"
    Try something more emotive such as
    "I want to train for a charity marathon in aid of breast cancer in memory of [insert weepy story]."

Running in circles to raise money is a normal activity that normal people do so they will feel less threatened.

I thought that disabled access toilets were compulsory.

The usual non-showery advice:
    Shower before you leave.
    Wear non-stinky merino wool
    http://www.chocolatefishmerino.co.uk/te ... shirt.html
    Change T shirt at work.
    Moderate your pace and slow down for a rolling cooldown at the end. Much more effective than trying to cooldown inside.
  • richVSrich
    well the thing is , our office is over two floors and we getting rid of one of them (reduced numbers, moving people etc) and the shower is on that floor! i dont think we can move to that floor for various reasons...im hoping im wrong though..we might!

that bacon spray sounds good will3! :)

might have to learn to take it easyish in on the way in or least do a proper cool down...
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    It isn't a problem and you really can make do without a shower. For a long time I was a member of a local gym to get around the shower problem as I really thought it neccesary, but I needed to cut the spending for a while and started doing the sink/baby wipes routine. It really does work (my commute to the office is 10 miles) as I shower at home and it is fine.

I keep baby wipes and a travel towel at work. More recently I was doing some stretching when I arrive for a muscle twinge, and I found that it gave me a few minutes to cool down before the wipes routine. So, I've now that part of my arrival ritual.

Main thing is having somewhere to air your gear during the day.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Baby wipes work wonders and some deo.

Drying kit - if nowhere to hang, can you put your kit under the desk and use a desk fan to air them - I hang my kit in the corner of the office and have a desk fan to dry it. The only problem I have is when on other sites - damp kit stays in my panniers, so I usually take a spare base layer, but the rest goes on damp. - glad it's not every day though.