Chain hitting chain stay

tigger123
tigger123 Posts: 60
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello, I have a Trek Full Sus and when I went out on it today on nearly every occasion I stopped pedalling the chain went very loose and would hit the chain stay. It wasn't too bad when I went up to the higher or down to the lower gears but in the middle gears is when it was at its worse. Do I need a new chain or is there something more sinister going on or even something simple to sort out.

It wasn’t doing this the last time I was out.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you need a chainstay protector. an old inner tube works well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tigger123
    I bought a chain stay protector when I bought the bike.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Get SRAM gearing if its bothering you they dont clatter so much as Shimano.

Or just keep on riding and you will soon forget the clanking.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • rhialto
    rhialto Posts: 277
    I was out riding with a buddy and noticed that he had a lot of slack in his chain. It was hanging loose when he shifted to the smaller cogs. It appears that the pivot spring that provides tension to the cage had broken. It's something you can easily check. The lower jockey wheel should be pulling the chain tight regardless of what cog/chainring you are using.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Something that you have hoped he'd notice.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • PIKEO
    PIKEO Posts: 82
    did you get it sorted, maybe post a picture, it may help someone help you
  • tigger123
    Somebody at work today suggest that it might be the free hub sticking, which would make sense as the cassette continues to go around a little bit after I stop pedalling causing the chain to slacken. When I start pedalling again it snaps back into position.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    very unlikely.

watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZQf1bduGYs

it happens.

fit an old inner tube.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown