carradice - do I get saddle bag support or SQR uplift

TipsterStu
TipsterStu Posts: 74
edited May 2011 in Tour & expedition
I'm thinking of getting http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?pa ... duct_id=35
for my Condor Squadra ... it'lll not be pretty but I imagine I can get a lot in for a 5 day ride down to Paris, unassisted

Do I get Bagman Sport Quick Release Saddle Bag Support or SQR Saddle Bag Uplift System?

Pros and cons welcome ... I can't work it out from the pics

Cheers

Stuart

Comments

• cycladelic
    cycladelic Posts: 641
    I would say the SQR one. I use it and love it. These are very strong bits of kit.

You didn't say what size saddlebag you have (?), but the bagman looks like it could bend under a heavy load.
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I've used a Bagman Expedition QR with a Carradice Super-C saddlebag - a similar size to the Nelson Longflap you are thinking of buying - and find it worked really well on B&B trips.

They are ridiculously over-priced for what they are - the Bagmans - but ultimately worth it for ease of use. They do not bend under load as the above poster suggested - evidently he's not used one - but then of course you are not going to be carrying 20kgs of gear in a saddlebag either.

I'd definitely get the Bagman if I were you.
  • Todd Sweeney
    Todd Sweeney Posts: 117
    I've not tried the Bagman, but use the SQR one on my road bike with a large Carradice Super C saddlebag and it works great.
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    I use an SQR with a Camper Longflap saddlebag and am very pleased with it - simple, solid and easy to use. BUT - I have had to slide my saddle forwards from ideal to get room for hitching (not much, about 1 cm but enough for it to be impossible on my race frame with a steeper seat angle); I use a bungy round the saddlebag and the seatpost to cut down the sway (also makes a handy place to stick a spare jersey or gloves on the move).

I chose the SQR because I didn't like the idea of the Bagman putting an extra load on the saddle clamp. I have bad memories of the old steel bag supports we had when I was in my teens. The SQR may work better with a Super C saddlebag (it's designed for it) or a Nelson (bit shallower than the Camper). Best of all is what I have on my mtb-tourer, B15 saddle with loops, a little support on the rack mounts and a bungy to hold everything steady; I have confidence in that.
  • lloyd_bower
    lloyd_bower Posts: 664
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    I've used a Bagman Expedition QR with a Carradice Super-C saddlebag - a similar size to the Nelson Longflap you are thinking of buying - and find it worked really well on B&B trips.

They are ridiculously over-priced for what they are - the Bagmans - but ultimately worth it for ease of use. They do not bend under load as the above poster suggested - evidently he's not used one - but then of course you are not going to be carrying 20kgs of gear in a saddlebag either.

I'd definitely get the Bagman if I were you.

I've the Super C saddlebag too and have both a both a quick release bagman and the SQR fittings on different bikes, which I use for commuting. Both have there advantages but the saddlebag swings about a tad more with the SQR fitting.
    Either way you can't go wrong, these are saddlebags though not trendy are a ideal size for a short tour.
  • TipsterStu
    TipsterStu Posts: 74
    Lloyd ... I'm not into trendy cycling ... so I think I'm best suited to the Longflap

From everyone's advice it seems I could get either and it works well

This bag turns my race bike into a 4/5 day credit card tourer - which saves me a fortune and space in the house

Thanks - gonna get the Longflap camper and ????? god knows ... both cases make sense

Best

Stuart
  • mercurykev
    mercurykev Posts: 264
    +1 for the SQR system. I've got the blocks on all of my bikes and have the uplifts on my Barley, Nelson Longflap and Camper Longflap. This allows very quick and simple bag swaps. As previously mentioned certain saddle set ups e.g. saddle pushed quite face back, can foul the uplift; however, rather than moving the saddle forward you can just bend the uplift slightly by standing on it - they are very sturdy and cope with this with no issues.