Campag upgrade 10sp to 11

2107 Posts: 6
edited May 2011 in Workshop
I have a Campag Veloce 10spd set up, i would like to upgrade to 11 spd Chorus do i need to also change the front chainring or will it run with 11 spd chain ?? The front chainring is FSA Pro Carbon 50/34 virtually brand new hence would like to keep it.

Comments

• de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    First dibs on your Veloce levers (if they're Ultrashift) :wink:
  • fortyone
    fortyone Posts: 166
    Personally, I would "upgrade" to 10 speed Record or Chorus rather than 11 speed. My experience of 11 speed is that it is a much more fiddly system. I found it was much more difficult to set up the front mech because the cage is narrower and the rear casssette is wider. Spent ages on it, but couldn't set it up as good as the 10 speed system. Mind you, 11 speed could be as effective as the 10 if a 10 speed front mech was used instead: could be worth trying. Fortunately, I didn't buy the 11 speed but tried to make it work for someone else.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Do it, 11s is brilliant, not fiddly at all if you know what you are doing.

My Colnago was my first experience with 11s and I just thought wow...what a difference!

I changed my LOOK from 10s Record to 11s Record by just swapping out the shifters, Chain and Cassette, it was seamless. I did changed the rear mech, not because it was needed but for pose 8)

My LBS warned that using a thinner chain with a 10s chainset can run the risk of the chain getting trapped between the two rings on clumsy changes, but my system runs so sweet that the occasional changes to the inner ring are faultless.

I set my parameters up first so that everything is adjusted perfectly in line on the rear mech, then it was just a matter of making sure the cable was at the right tension and bingo 8)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There's only 0.1mm difference in chainring thickness between 10 and 11 speed - most folks wouldn't notice. Most just get away with changing the shifters, cassette and chain first. Fitting the cables is critical to shift performance and why most people have problems because they don't do it properly.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    No need to change the chainring, it will work fine.