Tilff-Bastogne-Tilff (12th June, 2011)

lucan
lucan Posts: 339
Is anyone here planning to do the Tilff-Bastogne-Tilff sportive on 12th June?

I am going and this will be my first continental sportive, so I'm really looking forward to it. I'm sure it will be tough, but you never know what you can do until you try.

The climbs are described as:
1 Côte de Chambralles Length 1550 m 9.5%Average 20%Max
2 Côte de Bonnerue Length 2500 m 5.7%Average 8%Max
3 Mont-le-Soie Length 4000 m 5.9%Average 11%Max
4 Côte de Wanne Length 2200 m 7.5%Average 13%Max
5 Côte d'Amermont Length 3600 m 5.5%Average 21%Max
6 Col du Rosier Length 4000 m 5.7%Average 12%Max
7 Côte de Gotale Length 2800 m 6.9%Average 13%Max
8 Côte du Hornay Length 1100 m 6.3%Average 8%Max
9 Côte de Boncelles Length 3300 m 5%Average 8%Max
10 L'Ancienne Barrière Length 4800 m 4.7%Average 6%Max
11 Côte de Havelange Length 2300 m 5.5%Average 8%Max

I will be visiting my LBS tomorrow to discuss gearing!

Any tips, hints or suggestions will be gratefully received.
Summer: Kuota Kebel
Winter: GT Series3

Comments

• lucan
    That'll just be me then :?
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    If you search we covered some of this earlier. At least the differences between LBL and TBT. Youi're in for a great one! Did LBL last year in August: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/48241156

It's a beast of a ride. To give you an idea, I'm 40 (this year), 82 kgs, ride 6000-6500 km a year, and was ok with a 39x27. But bring your best, light climbing wheels, rather than aero wheels.

At 3900 meters it's as much climbing as a mountain sportive but since the climbs are many it wears you out more, there's no long 30 min screaming descent where you can relax and eat and get your heart rate down. In fact the descents are crap b/c they're like narrow Surrey lanes and, later on in the day, there's lots of cars.

What are you not climbing La Redoute or Haute Levee? Shows how the route differs between the 2 rides for the reasons I spoke about in the other thread.

Still, the riders are great, they're Belgians, Dutch, and some French and the riding is scores better than Flanders. In Walloonie there's no riding on silly bike paths between bollards either.

Bring 2 spare tubes at least, I nor my buddy flatted but some of the roads through the forest are rough. Also, the scenery is gorgeous in the forest in the south.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • lucan
    Thanks FJ,

I know this is going to be quite a challenge, as I'm no climber, at 90Kg and 49yrs old, and I've never ridden a sportive before, but that's what challenges are all about, isn't it?

Looking forward to it.
    :shock:
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've ridden T-B-T a few times and it really depends on how hard you ride it - my best time was under 7 hrs but it was more like a fast club-ride, riding through and off the whole way. The first half is rolling whereas the second is more up and down. Looks like they changed the route too - dropped LaRedoute which is a hard slog at 200km. Some climbs are a few km so you'll need a gear you can comfortably spin whilst seated. Stops are well stocked as long as you like waffles and Isostar.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • lucan
    Thanks MD.

The group I will be riding with won't be pushing hard, so I won't either.

I will be changing my gearing so that I have a 12-27 or 12-28 in place of my current 12-25.

Other than that I'll try to focus on staying fed and hydrated and let my legs do what they can.
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    It's a good day out. I enjoyed the first 2/3rds more when I did it last year. Once the other routes join you, it's gets a bit more crowded. I'm not sure why they've taken The Redoute out this year but you'll not be short of hills. Your OP lists 11 cols but the long route this year only does the first 9. The other two belong to the shorter courses.

The food stops are well-stocked. Fruit, cakes, biscuits as well as the famous waffles. There's no time pressure - there are no timing chips, just a brevet card, so just enjoy the scenery.
  • lucan
    Thanks for the insight.

Just the 9 climbs then - but I will still be doing the two 20%+ ones. Deep joy :?
  • genki
    Lucan wrote:

Are the individual routes posted before the event?

Yes, they're on the website, but on the French version not the English :?

http://sport.be.msn.com/cyclingtour/til ... /parcours/

http://www.garmin.be/Parcours/TBT/fullscreen244.html
  • lucan
    Excellent, thanks. I have downloaded the gpx file so that I can load it into my Garmin.

I haven't put a route into it before, so I hope it's straightforward enough.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    How did it go? I really enjoyed it. Please download your trace from Garmin Connect.

Would be good to see how the TBT and LBL routes compare.

It's one ride I'd defo do again.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • genki
    I think this year's is coming up this weekend.

Here's a Garmin trace from last year, though as discussed the route's a bit different this year.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/34413675
  • weeve
    weeve Posts: 393
    Im doing it; also did couple years ago as first ever sportive since living in NL. You dont need a gps. i use one for going around here but you'll have plenty of riders around...certainly if start later but then parking a mare. i started early (not long after 5:30 if i recall and even then a enough people to know where to go.Will do same on sunday.

Have fun, and note that millions do the 150k odd route so you'll meet up with them when done the longer part of the loop on the full 240k. Also I used a 12-25 and compact. Was just enough for the one climb at end which is a short killer. Have 12-26 now so shouldnt struggle as much in front of the laughing crowds
  • rowman
    rowman Posts: 111
    What an excellent day out. The weather was just about perfect with light winds warm but not too hot. The rolling terrain added to groups staying together for longer compared to the big Euro mountainous events.

My pros for this event:

. fantastic organization
    . outstanding scenery
    . well stocked feed stations
    . low entry cost (12 Euros from memory)
    . honey waffles & ginger cake
    . low cost compared to Marmotte etc, £80 return via Eurostar + a couple of nights in a hotel

The negatives

. POT HOLES…

What did everyone else think?
  • weeve
    weeve Posts: 393
    great weather and great day out. Pot holes Im used to...
    Started at 5:40 so saw hardly anyone for first 170km and then everyone for last 78km when the routes joined. Almost total absence of training this year left me blxxdy cream crackered yesterday...but in my defense i only had 3 hours sleep, got round in 8 ish hours and then drove home (to NL).

All good. That was my training for Marmotte done in one go :)