Alternative camping near to dalby forest?

paul the 6th
paul the 6th Posts: 33
edited May 2011 in Routes
Hiya, this seemed the most relevant section to stick it in so here goes.

Tried the usual sites as recommended by most people. High Rigg Farm, Pexton Moor Farm etc. all either fully booked or don't like the sound of 3-4 mountain bike riding males with their wife/girlfriend/fiance sleeping in their field for the night.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any campsites a little further a field (within 5-10 miles of dalby maybe) where we might stand a chance of getting camped for the night around the 18th june...

I did find a nice one in thornton le dale but it's adults only (its the first outing for my mate & his wife since their baby was born about 4 months ago so they're desperate to get out me thinks) so we're a bit stuck..

Any ideas? Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• lovewales
    lovewales Posts: 411
    Lound House Farm just outside Whitby - it could be slightly over 10 miles though. Only thing is there is no showers only cold water and loos but very well kept site that we stay on often. As for the showers we go into the ones in the public loos in Whitby, I can't remember if Dalby has showers.
    If every action has an equal and opposite reaction does that mean I will be eaten by a fly?
  • Hiya LW,

cheers for the tip off buddy - ended up finding this place: http://abbotshouse.org.uk/

it's about 13 miles away in Goathland (where they film heartbeat) but has showers, toilets, big old field where we can find a corner away from everyone else if we're gonna be sat having a few quiet beers later on at night.

We did make a provisional booking at the provedance inn at Yedingham (about 5 miles away from dalby) as the food/pub/camping area all looked great - but then it transpired that there was no actual shower access, rather "a shower in the upstairs of the pub which they sometimes let guests use" - we preferred not having to ask permission to use someone elses shower so abbots house suits us down to the ground :)

+ PLUS - they're letting us pitch up early in the morning around 10ish instead of having to wait until after the 12pm check on time :D:D
  • lovewales
    lovewales Posts: 411
    That site always looks nice we use the access road as an out route for our favourite moors route with he kids. I have tried to book there in the past but they didn't accept advance bookings when I tried and turning up at 8pm on bank holiday weekend friday was just too risky!! Plus it works out a bit expensive for a family with older kids.

There is another site at Ellerburn but again that cannot be advanced booked.
    If every action has an equal and opposite reaction does that mean I will be eaten by a fly?
  • altern_8
    altern_8 Posts: 1,562
    i know you have booked allready,there is this one as well for future ref,read some good reviews about it,aint stayed there myself tho,about 10 miles from the red route>>>
    http://www.sthelenscaravanpark.co.uk/

from goathland there is some nice singletrack right on youre doorstep,i sometimes do a route that takes me to the southern outskirts of goathland,which can be linked to dalby.