Do Bikeradar Need Spoiler Warning On Home Page?

nakita222
nakita222 Posts: 341
edited May 2011 in Pro race
Just wondering what you think. Many a time I get home, go on bikeradar, forget that the home page shows the winner, and then it spoils my evening. I watch the highlights but it's not the same when you know who's going to win.

Comments

• rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Just link the forum page as your bike radar favourite and you won't see anything.
    Easy :)
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Why do you look at a cycling news site if you don't want to get news about cycling?
  • nakita222
    will3 wrote:
    Why do you look at a cycling news site if you don't want to get news about cycling?

I want to find out who wins for myself. While watching the highlights. On eurosport. At 7.45
    On my television. Sitting on the sofa. I don't mind the news but the race results can be quite annoying
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    I have the same problem with MMA and boxing. As most of the events are broadcast from 2-5am on a Sunday morning, I get up and have to avoid sport websites for a while so I can at least torrent the main event. It's my own fault if I find out the result before getting to watch it
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    stay off bikeradar til then? or use www.bikeradar.com/forums
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    We have this query every year starting about now, we'll no doubt have it again during the tour. I keep doing it too, I've bookmarked the forums on my phone now, straight to pro race, no problems 8)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    nakita222 I'd suggest avoiding all news-based media, including twitter and facebook.

It's part of our job to get the news out as fast as possible, otherwise it's not news.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • nakita222
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    nakita222 I'd suggest avoiding all news-based media, including twitter and facebook.

It's part of our job to get the news out as fast as possible, otherwise it's not news.

Fairplay, It is quite annoying though, but i will remeber to use bikeradar forums instead of bikeradar.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I don't really understand the whole ***spoiler*** thing. If I'm trying to avoid a result I don't go anywhere near a cycling website, let alone the "pro" section of a forum.
    exercise.png
  • Jeff Jones wrote:

Jeff, what's the situation with your podcasts? Unless iTunes is cheating on me, there hasn't been one since last November or thereabouts. Were they the victim of post-coalition cuts?
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Home Page, what's that.

My bookmark is set to Pro Race menu, so I come straight in.
    I look elsewhere for news or the spoilers are very good.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    TheStone wrote:
    I don't really understand the whole ***spoiler*** thing. If I'm trying to avoid a result I don't go anywhere near a cycling website, let alone the "pro" section of a forum.
    Have you worked out how many days of racing you are talking about?

3 3-week Grand Tours, at least 5 or 6 1-week tours, 10 or so classic 1 day races, a lot of semi-classics, the World Championships on road and track, World Cup track events, mountain bike races and championships ...

You're talking about avoiding cycling forums altogether for at least half the year! If you can do without cycling forums at the time of the year when you are likely to be most interested in cycling, then you might as well not bother with them at all!

Avoiding a particular forum section doesn't help if people don't use the SPOILER convention. People often post threads in the wrong place. Also - many of us don't scour individual forum sections, we just view threads updated since our last visit and race thread titles show in those lists.

Refusing to declare SPOILER threads is like telling someone that they shouldn't get upset at someone 'flashing' at their teenage daughter! Wassup - she doesn't have to look, does she? :?
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    TheStone wrote:

I can regularily browse on here and read plenty of interesting things about cycling and even the races themselves without having the stage I will watch that night ruined. It really isn't hard to put 'Spoiler' in the title is it.

As the other poster says, half the year people couldn't come on here if they followed your theory.

We are not idiots though and know if we go on cycling news websites we will see the results. On a forum it can easily be avoided.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    ColinJ wrote:
    TheStone wrote:

3 3-week Grand Tours, at least 5 or 6 1-week tours, 10 or so classic 1 day races, a lot of semi-classics, the World Championships on road and track, World Cup track events, mountain bike races and championships ...

You're talking about avoiding cycling forums altogether for at least half the year! If you can do without cycling forums at the time of the year when you are likely to be most interested in cycling, then you might as well not bother with them at all!

Avoiding a particular forum section doesn't help if people don't use the SPOILER convention. People often post threads in the wrong place. Also - many of us don't scour individual forum sections, we just view threads updated since our last visit and race thread titles show in those lists.

Refusing to declare SPOILER threads is like telling someone that they shouldn't get upset at someone 'flashing' at their teenage daughter! Wassup - she doesn't have to look, does she? :?

Except this thread is about having a spolier on the news page not on the forum. I think most would agree that 'spoiler' in the title of a thread discussing results on a forum is good practice but to suggest that the news site needs to do the same, as the OP does, is a bit daft!
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Paulie W wrote:
    ColinJ wrote:
    TheStone wrote:

Except this thread is about having a spolier on the news page not on the forum. I think most would agree that 'spoiler' in the title of a thread discussing results on a forum is good practice but to suggest that the news site needs to do the same, as the OP does, is a bit daft!

The comments are in relation to The stone who made the point he didn't understand the "whole" spoiler thing.

I think we ALL agree the News front page can't have spoilers as that would defeat the object of them.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Jeff, what's the situation with your podcasts? Unless iTunes is cheating on me, there hasn't been one since last November or thereabouts. Were they the victim of post-coalition cuts?
    Yep, the regular ones got binned as they were time consuming to produce and there was very little commercial support.

We haven't cut any staff though - in fact the opposite is the case. We've recently hired a video editor to work across both BikeRadar and Cyclingnews, and if you browse the front pages of both sites you can see the fruits of his labour.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291

The comments are in relation to The stone who made the point he didn't understand the "whole" spoiler thing.

I think we ALL agree the News front page can't have spoilers as that would defeat the object of them.

Well, each to their own. I personally wouldn't come near here, but I'm probably only watching a delayed race, maybe 10 times a year.
    exercise.png
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    TheStone wrote:

+1

and if you bypass the home page to visit a pro race forum section and still find out the result then that's totally your own fault.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Jeff Jones wrote:
    Yep, the regular ones got binned as they were time consuming to produce and there was very little commercial support.

We haven't cut any staff though - in fact the opposite is the case. We've recently hired a video editor to work across both BikeRadar and Cyclingnews, and if you browse the front pages of both sites you can see the fruits of his labour.

Noted, thanks Jeff.