Hybrid - off road or not to off road!

Nulli
Nulli Posts: 29
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
Hi guys,

A friend of mine is organising a ride in September from Liverpool to Leeds and I am presuming the route will be along the Leeds - Liverpool canal etc. I quite fancy doing this but my bike is a Trek 7.5 FX and is fitted with 700x32 tyres which are basically all weather road tyres. I am not sure exactly what the route is like, wether its canal track, cycle track or dirt. I am very inexperienced at this sort of thing so not sure how to tackle this.

Would it be wise or even possible to change the tyres over to something with a profile more suited to off road although this would slow me down on a decent surface?

Secondly would my bike be up to any dirt tracks given thats it has carbon folks and an aluminium frame?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Trek 7.5fx

Comments

• I ride a Carrera Subway 1, no suspension and using road tyres, and I commute along the canal from Rodley into Leeds. Although parts of it have tarmac on the tow-path, most of it will be normal tow-path quality - bumpy!!
    I don't know the bike you are using, however I have no problems in wet or dry. I cannot comment on possible effects on carbon frames, etc..

Hope this is of some help
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It should be fine, just don't go ploughing through massive holes or down flights of steps on the locks!

Check out the condition of the paths first though. Then get some cyclocross tyres if that's what you need.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I don't think tyres will be your problem, the fact that of the 130 miles of towpath only around 75 miles of it is classed as being cyclable will be.

We looked at the route in March and came to the conclusion that the trans-pennine trail was more viable.

Regards

Bob
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My Daughter took her ex BF's Subway round a 4X track (Leam' Spa) without any problems.....

Many towpaths are not classed as cycleable when they are, I would get the biggest on/off road tyres you can fit in the frame, cyclcross bikes are ally/carbon as are many MTB, I don't see that being an issue!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Standard 32mm commuter tyres are quite capable of being ridden off road. I have taken a fully loaded touring bike over mountain trails and gravel roads using 32mm Schwalbe Marathon. I've even ridden up and town highly technical MTB routes in the South Downs.
    I cant think of any legally permitted cycle route where those tyres would preclude you from riding.
    If you want to ride fast and aggressively or do stunts or big-air drops then you might have issues but for Just Riding Along, your bike and the tyres are fine.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It depends on the conditions, some of the towpaths round here resemble swamps between september and march, and even mud specific MTB tyres struggle, but then there are other bits that are hardpack gravel (easy to ride on, grippy and smooth) and some that are wood/bark chip stuff (horrible to ride on, slow, puncture territory) and there will be other bits that are like any other countryside footpath, they're 'natural' but firm, so bumpy, but grip isn't a problem.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I reckon youll be fine.
  • Nulli
    Nulli Posts: 29
    Thanks guys. the replies are very helpful.

Trek 7.5fx
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Have an Orbea Carpe H10 hybrid and have been really surprised at how well it copes on the standard Continental Sport Contact 32 tyres. Have taken it over rough stoned ground at the Whitelees wind farm and it rode almost as well as my mountain bike.

Obviously, muddy parts need a bit of care, but again it has surprised me at how well it copes, so you should be fine other than extreme situations.
  • You should be fine, I'm getting a Kona dew plus and intend to use it for that sought of thing

I use to ride a 1986 racing bike (raleigh sirocco for those interested in these things ;) ), used it on the canal path a couple times and it managed....just about :oops: . A proper hybrid will be fine

I could be wrong (I'm not an expert like some of the people on BR! Bike gurus correct me if I'm wrong! ) but you want to pick the right tyres for the job - probably the most important thing you can do. It might be worth having a peep at what the conditions will be - it it's going to be pretty muddy and stony then wider and more tread, if it's going to be slick then slicker tyres will be good so your not battling unnecessarily. I would advise making sure they are puncture protected, and take tyre levers, puncture repair kit/patches and a pump!!! I got a puncture 6 months ago and didn't have the kit....long walk home.

Hope that helps