Plymouth area trails please

chili85
chili85 Posts: 68
edited May 2011 in Routes
Can anybody point me in the direction of some decent trail riding riding in the plymouth area? I've tried Cann woods area but seems to be downhill tracks (if you know any different please advise me) I'm not a great map follower whilst i'm riding so start finish points would be good and landmarks in between.
Cheers

Comments

• stardude
    stardude Posts: 255
    I would also be intereested in some routes in the area :)
  • chili85
    Are you plymouth based stardude?
  • stardude
    yeah, i live just off the A38 as you enter plymouth. Hartley vale area

where abouts are you?
  • chili85
    I'm the other side of plymouth in Brixton. Moved here about 3 years ago and recently got back into riding after a 6 year break. Finding it a struggle to find anywhere local to ride so have been travelling to Haldon. Dont know Dartmoor well enoug either.
    Whats your trails?
  • stardude
    chili85 wrote:
    I'm the other side of plymouth in Brixton. Moved here about 3 years ago and recently got back into riding after a 6 year break. Finding it a struggle to find anywhere local to ride so have been travelling to Haldon. Dont know Dartmoor well enoug either.
    Whats your trails?

to be honest, i dont really have many trails down here.

been to cann woods, the plym valley cycleway (boring), I also go along the river from plymbridgeon the left hand side (not the cycleway side) and just follow it along as far as you can. its a nice ride, not particularly long, but has some nice bits and some very technical bits.

i also go to haldon every now and then.

i'm going to get myself a dartmoor route guide book soon and see what the routes in that are like.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Got myself a copy of The Good Mountain Biking Guide recently and there's a reasonable bunch of maps of areas around there, mainly in and around Dartmoor going right out to Exeter and down to Cornwall. The maps seem to be a lot of XC stuff. Have a look in a book shop and see if it's any good.

P.S. Never tried it, but Gawton is supposed to be the best place, but it's a definite downhill place (and requires a permit to ride).
  • chili85
    Cool, i'll check it out. Anything is better than nothing and xc can always turn into something else :wink:
    Gawton is top spot but downhll kills me nowadays.
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    If you guys want to tag along with us (small group of mixed ability riders) this Sunday you are more than welcome
    we are meeting at Dunnabridge Carpark(just past Dartmeet on the B3357) at 10:30am and going on a nice steady 14ish mile ride
    If you have facebook look out for OTH MTBers page for details
    if not drop me an PM with your email address and I will send details :)
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • chili85
    Love to but all my spare riding time is during the week in the day as i work weekends and early mornings. Do you ride at any other times? I will check out facebook page now.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Get a map of dartmoor and follow the bridleways....

Certini Cycles in Saltash has quite a good"book shop"section if you need more...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • fibre
    fibre Posts: 20
    If you go to the Moorland Centre at Princetown, you can buy a map called 'Dartmoor for off-road cyclists'. That gives you a good idea of the routes available and how difficult they are. (its also on amzon for about 4 quid less)

You could also join YOGI or one of the other bike clubs in the area. They tend to run evenings adn weekdns though.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ddraver wrote:
    Get a map of dartmoor and follow the bridleways....
    Think officially those and marked cycle paths are all you're allowed to ride under the rules of the national park.

Though they don't appear to be as anal as the New Forest who really are obsessed that bikes stick to strict routes only. I've heard they even have people watching out for anyone off the official stuff and reporting them.