10 gear cassette uestion

lofty102
lofty102 Posts: 138
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I was just wondering if i was to change from a 9 gear cassette to a 10 gear cassette, would the 10 gear cassette fit on to the same wheel? are the 10 gear cassettes the same size as a 9? any info would be great for future knowledge, as at some point this year i'm hoping to build myself a hardtail of some description!!
2010 Mondraker Factor RR
2014 canyon ultimate cf 9.0 sl
2016 Planet x pro carbon
2017 Scott Spark 730

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes it would fit.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Usually yes. There are 10x specific hubs that wont take 9x but in most cases a 10 cassette will go on a 9x hub. When 10x was released many hubs were branded 8/9/10 compatible
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    lofty102 wrote:
    I was just wondering if i was to change from a 9 gear cassette to a 10 gear cassette, would the 10 gear cassette fit on to the same wheel? are the 10 gear cassettes the same size as a 9? any info would be great for future knowledge, as at some point this year i'm hoping to build myself a hardtail of some description!!

You may find (depending on wheel) you need one or two thin spacers (shimano usually supply). I find on Mavic freehubs for a 10speed cassette I need two spacers. LBS (or even shock horror Halfords; who got me two) should be able to get hold of them for few quid.
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    Will also need the shifters / mechs and chain to get it to work
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Usually yes. There are 10x specific hubs that wont take 9x but in most cases a 10 cassette will go on a 9x hub.

Only the very first Dura Ace 7800 and Ultegra 6600 hubs, which had deeper splines to combat the burring that occurs. A good idea, but forced an upgrade to 10 speed, so they reverted to normal splines.

All 9 speed hubs can accept 10 speed cassettes.
  • lofty102
    lofty102 Posts: 138
    Thanks for all the replys, glad to hear they'll fit.

hopefully start my build at the end of summer/ early autumn. I've already got a Full Sus so i'm thinking of trying to build a lightish hardtail with a 2 x 10 gear set up, but i'm also toying with the idea of making it a singlespeed. I've never built a bike before, so any hints or tips would be great as well!!
    2010 Mondraker Factor RR
    2014 canyon ultimate cf 9.0 sl
    2016 Planet x pro carbon
    2017 Scott Spark 730