Anyone using the Planet X Merino Base Layers??

Sammyw23
Sammyw23 Posts: 627
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
They are in their sale for £12.99 (sleevelss)/£14.99(shortsleeve)/£19.99(longsleeve) so very tempted to invest but just interested to get any feedback first.

Thanks
Cervelo P3
Bianchi Infinito
Cannondale CAAD10

Comments

• GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    I got two pairs of the lightweight short sleeved baselayers a few weeks ago. They are absolutely superb quality for the price - every bit as good as the premium merino brands. I found the sizing a bit on the large side - I usually go for an 'L', but the 'M' fits me perfectly, so if in doubt, I'd suggest going for the smaller option.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    +1 for the quality. Got the 4 top bundle, but have only used the one tee so far,
    Really seem to work with regards to wicking away the sweat.
    GyatsoLa wrote:
    I got two pairs of the lightweight short sleeved baselayers a few weeks ago. They are absolutely superb quality for the price - every bit as good as the premium merino brands. I found the sizing a bit on the large side - I usually go for an 'L', but the 'M' fits me perfectly, so if in doubt, I'd suggest going for the smaller option.

You must be really skinny! :) Or I'm really chunky! lol

I am usually a Large / 42" chest... but found them pretty tight! They sent me an XL in the long sleeve base by accident... but I decided to keep it!
    Simon
  • Sammyw23
    Any other feedback on sizing - I am a 40-42" chest and was going to go for large but not sure now based on the above....... :? :? :?
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    large will be fine for you.
    i wear a 44 suit and the xl is good for me
    regards,
    dbb
  • gmb
    gmb Posts: 456
    I have the lightweight short sleeve. It's very good. Go for your normal size.
    Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
    http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg
  • tri-sexual
    tri-sexual Posts: 672
    i always buy a bigger size from px, their sizing tend to be on the small side
  • GyatsoLa
    +1 for the quality. Got the 4 top bundle, but have only used the one tee so far,
    Really seem to work with regards to wicking away the sweat.
    GyatsoLa wrote:

You must be really skinny! :) Or I'm really chunky! lol

I am usually a Large / 42" chest... but found them pretty tight! They sent me an XL in the long sleeve base by accident... but I decided to keep it!

Apologies, I got my posting mixed up!

Its entirely the opposite - I went for 'L', not 'M' - and they are still a little bit tight. I'm somewhere between 38 and 40 chest.

So sorry if I misled anyone (but Planet X are pretty cool about returns). If in doubt, i'd suggest going up a size.
  • Sammyw23
    This is annoying - I asked PX yesterday and they said to order a medium, from what you guys are saying I should have stuck with the Large....... :evil:
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    I wouldn't worry about it -- PX are pretty good with returns if your tops don't fit, even for sale items. I've sent a couple of jerseys back that were too small; replacements arrived within a couple of days.
  • Sammyw23
    Medium arrived today - tight but ok, think because its sleeveless that its ok so no issues about fitting on the shoulder.

Am I right in thinking you need to be VERY careful when washing these otherwise they can shrink massively?
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Sammyw23 wrote:
    Medium arrived today - tight but ok, think because its sleeveless that its ok so no issues about fitting on the shoulder.

Am I right in thinking you need to be VERY careful when washing these otherwise they can shrink massively?

I will let you know in a few days! The label just stated 40degC.. so let the wife put it in our standard wash cycle!! But I haven't seen the result yet! :)
    Simon
  • GyatsoLa
    Sammyw23 wrote:

I will let you know in a few days! The label just stated 40degC.. so let the wife put it in our standard wash cycle!! But I haven't seen the result yet! :)

Its best to wash them on a 'quick and cool' cycle, and if you have some put them in washbags, because they damage very easily if they snag on velcro or zips in the wash. Dry them flat - if you hang them up with pegs, they will stretch and lose their shape. Of course, one great thing about them is that you don't have to wash them very often - just let them air out when you can, preferably in the sun.

And be careful eating! Stains are almost impossible to get off merino.