Which are the best RECHARGEABLES??

npowell28
npowell28 Posts: 204
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
Need some advice on rechargeable batteries. I have a LIght and MOtion stella 150 light unit and rechargeable battery pack. I've had it for about a year but after about a month the battery wasn't lasting for anywhere near as long as it should do. They quote something like 2 hours on full power. Mine was lasting about 30 mins max. I quickly figured out that i was probably charging it for too long and therefore probably have killed the pack.

I went out and bought some rechargeable NImh's and a 4 AA battery holder and rigged it all up. All well i thought. HOwever these batterys are only lasting for about 20 miinutes some times. They aren't a well known make but they are rated at 2300mah. They are charged using a smart charger which cuts off once they are fully charged.

I'm just wondering

a). Can anyone recommend some really decent batterys
b). If i was to get a 6 x AA battery holder and wire that in would they last longer. The light unit only draws how many volts it requires dependant on the brightness setting

Cheers guys
Cube Ltd Pro!

Bianchi C2C via Nirone

Comments

• Skid Solo
    Skid Solo Posts: 29
    I would recomend Palocell, I have only ever found them on ebay, the AA's come in at 2800Mah. I have never used them for lights but I do use them in my GPS and they are the best rechargables I hav used (and thats compared agaisnt some of the big names)
  • Im no longer a member so havnt got access to the Which? web site but i know this site has tested rechargables in the past.

Maybe if someone reads this and is still a member they might check and post the results here.

I can remember tho that the best non rechargables on test were the Energiser HiTechs.
    If i aint riding it, then im thinking about riding it.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I get good results from Camlink batteries. I've been running two sets of four in my Hope Vision 1 for two winters now and not seen any reduction in performance.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Annsman Max-E from tantronics keep their charge for many months and have very slow discharge.
    http://www.tantronics.co.uk/acatalog/Ansmann_maxE.html

They are like the Uniross Hybrio and Sanyo Eneloop
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_self-d ... MH_battery
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    Of the ultra low self discharge ones, Vapextech all the way.

I have Eneloops, Hybrio, Sony Lifecycle and Vapextech at home and the latter are higher capacity and seem to cope with the abuse from a front light better than the others (although being newer probably helps).

Here's a detailed technical review and comparison with other brands:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12087

Available direct from UK distributor or ebay:
    http://www.vapextech.co.uk
    http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/vapextech

Also usefully supplied in a case so makes it easy to carry spares with you!

Rufus.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I use Vapextech and an intelligent charger (rather than one of those bog standard fast chargers) and it works well...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I use Vapextech and an intelligent charger (rather than one of those bog standard fast chargers) and it works well...

What he said.

Whatever batteries you go for, you should use a delta V charger. It assesses the rate of charge to determine when charging has finished to avoid overcharging the cells. Very important.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    From Which?:

Rechargeable batteries
    Best Buys

Best Buy AA high-capacity rechargeable batteries
    Energizer Accu recharge 2650 mAh
    Score: 73%

Price for four: £10.99

These high-capacity batteries lasted longer than any other batteries in our tests. Once charged, they powered through for a very impressive seven hours and 51 minutes under high-drain conditions. These high-drain conditions simulate use in devices such as electric razors and battery-powered toys.

These batteries also kept their charge well – losing just 7% of their charge after 25 days and 11% after 50 days. In our smart charger they took five-and-a-half hours to charge on the soft-charge setting, which resulted in an average score for charging time.

Surprisingly, when we checked in Maplin these 2650 mAh Energizer batteries were actually cheaper than the lower-capacity 2450 mAh Energizer batteries (below).

Maplin Extra-High Capacity N05BW 2500 mAh
    Score: 71%

Price for four: £12.99

These rechargeable batteries achieved the highest score for capacity retention out of all the high-capacity batteries on test – and they were actually better at keeping their charge than many of the hybrid batteries we tested. They lost just 5% of their charge after 25 days and just 6% after 50 days.

They lasted a respectable seven hours and 16 minutes in our high-drain lifetime tests and achieved 91% of their stated capacity (when charged using our smart charger). They got an average score for charge time, as they took around six hours when charged on our soft-charge setting.

Energizer Accu recharge 2450 mAh
    Score: 70%

Price for four: £14.99

Like the Maplin batteries, these also lasted seven hours and 16 minutes in our high-drain lifetime tests, which equates to achieving 93% of their stated capacity. They were the quickest high-capacity batteries to charge – taking around five hours and 10 minutes when using our smart charger on the soft-charge setting.

They achieved an average score for charge retention as they lost 10% of their charge after 25 days and 11% after 50 days.

Surprisingly, when we checked in Maplin these 2450 mAh Energizer batteries were more expensive than the higher-capacity 2650 mAh Energizer batteries (above).

Best Buy AA hybrid rechargeable batteries
    GP ReCyko+ 2050 mAh
    Score: 75%

If you want to buy batteries that you can use straight from the box, these pre-charged hybrids from GP are a great choice. They were the quickest to charge of all the batteries we tested – taking just three hours and 15 minutes on the soft-charge setting of our smart charger.

They were also the second-longest-lasting hybrid batteries on test. Once charged they lasted six hours and 32 minutes in our high-drain tests (which simulate use in devices such as electric razors and battery-powered toys).

This equates to achieving 98% of their stated capacity – the second-highest capacity achieved by any battery. They also kept their charge fairly well, losing 8% of their charge after 25 days and 10% after 50 days.

Jessops Ready-2-Go 2100 mAh

Price for four: £12

These Jessops batteries offer another excellent choice if you want to use your rechargeable batteries straight from the packet. They were the longest-lasting hybrid batteries on test – lasting an average of six hours and 39 minutes per charge in our high-drain tests.

This equates to achieving 99% of their stated capacity, which was the highest percentage achieved by any battery we tested.

They achieved a good score for charge time, taking just under five hours when charged using the soft-charge setting on our smart charger. And they kept their charge well – losing 7% of their charge after 25 days and 9% after 50 days.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    edited May 2011
    Vapextech - just bought some more today, £5.60 for four 2900mah delivered. I have used these for about 3 years now, consistently good quality. My MAHA Wizard One charger suggests they actually offer about 2500mah, which is close to class leading (none achieve the headline figure) but at half the price or less. I use 4 top 6 every day and have about 16, and need to replace about 4 per year, which is very satisfactory.

Good smart chargers, BC-90 (£43 ish with 4 AA's) or the MAHA Wizard One (£49 ish with 4 AA's).

For a cheaper smart charger with some bells and whistles look at the BL700.

For a basic but good smart charger there is the Vapextech LCD World charger at £14.95 (scroll down).

Slow discharge (hybrid) batteries are very good for items you use infrequently - I use them in my rear light. For my front light I use conventional NiMH because I change them every day - you get more capacity in conventional ones.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Phil_D wrote:
    From Which?:

Rechargeable batteries
    Best Buys

Best Buy AA high-capacity rechargeable batteries
    Energizer Accu recharge 2650 mAh
    Score: 73%

These high-capacity batteries lasted longer than any other batteries in our tests. Once charged, they powered through for a very impressive seven hours and 51 minutes under high-drain conditions. These high-drain conditions simulate use in devices such as electric razors and battery-powered toys.

These batteries also kept their charge well – losing just 7% of their charge after 25 days and 11% after 50 days. In our smart charger they took five-and-a-half hours to charge on the soft-charge setting, which resulted in an average score for charging time.

Surprisingly, when we checked in Maplin these 2650 mAh Energizer batteries were actually cheaper than the lower-capacity 2450 mAh Energizer batteries (below).

Maplin Extra-High Capacity N05BW 2500 mAh

Price for four: £12.99

These rechargeable batteries achieved the highest score for capacity retention out of all the high-capacity batteries on test – and they were actually better at keeping their charge than many of the hybrid batteries we tested. They lost just 5% of their charge after 25 days and just 6% after 50 days.

They lasted a respectable seven hours and 16 minutes in our high-drain lifetime tests and achieved 91% of their stated capacity (when charged using our smart charger). They got an average score for charge time, as they took around six hours when charged on our soft-charge setting.

Energizer Accu recharge 2450 mAh
    Score: 70%

Price for four: £14.99

Like the Maplin batteries, these also lasted seven hours and 16 minutes in our high-drain lifetime tests, which equates to achieving 93% of their stated capacity. They were the quickest high-capacity batteries to charge – taking around five hours and 10 minutes when using our smart charger on the soft-charge setting.

They achieved an average score for charge retention as they lost 10% of their charge after 25 days and 11% after 50 days.

Surprisingly, when we checked in Maplin these 2450 mAh Energizer batteries were more expensive than the higher-capacity 2650 mAh Energizer batteries (above).

Best Buy AA hybrid rechargeable batteries
    GP ReCyko+ 2050 mAh
    Score: 75%

If you want to buy batteries that you can use straight from the box, these pre-charged hybrids from GP are a great choice. They were the quickest to charge of all the batteries we tested – taking just three hours and 15 minutes on the soft-charge setting of our smart charger.

They were also the second-longest-lasting hybrid batteries on test. Once charged they lasted six hours and 32 minutes in our high-drain tests (which simulate use in devices such as electric razors and battery-powered toys).

This equates to achieving 98% of their stated capacity – the second-highest capacity achieved by any battery. They also kept their charge fairly well, losing 8% of their charge after 25 days and 10% after 50 days.

Jessops Ready-2-Go 2100 mAh

Price for four: £12

These Jessops batteries offer another excellent choice if you want to use your rechargeable batteries straight from the packet. They were the longest-lasting hybrid batteries on test – lasting an average of six hours and 39 minutes per charge in our high-drain tests.

This equates to achieving 99% of their stated capacity, which was the highest percentage achieved by any battery we tested.

They achieved a good score for charge time, taking just under five hours when charged using the soft-charge setting on our smart charger. And they kept their charge well – losing 7% of their charge after 25 days and 9% after 50 days.

Vapextech are a lot cheaper than those...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.