Genesis Day 1 Alfine

jackfeeder
jackfeeder Posts: 269
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
Hi,
I'm tempted by one of these on the cycle to work scheme.
Does anyone ride one and have any issues with the bike or set up?
Does it/the tyres cope with a variety of surfaces and if you've had to remove the rear wheel is that a right pain?
All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I use the Alfine hub on a Dahon Cadenza frame.
    Wheel removal with Alfine requires 3 tools, a wheel-nut spanner, some needle-nosed pliers to unhook the gear cable and a small allen key or nail to rotate the cassette arm.
    The process is fairly easy and doesnt cause me any problems. You would have the additional task of setting chain tension with the horizontal dropots.
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    @MichaelW
    Put bike in lowest tension gear, then pull outer out of frame cable guide leaving lots of slack to remove the gear-nubbin from the carrier. Admittedly you do need a 15mm for the wheel nuts, but the rest is hands only with a bit of practise.
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    There's a chap her called Gaz something or other who has had all kinds of trouble with his. Well worth delving a little deeper to find his posts.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    jackfeeder wrote:
    Hi,
    I'm tempted by one of these on the cycle to work scheme.
    Does anyone ride one and have any issues with the bike or set up?
    Does it/the tyres cope with a variety of surfaces and if you've had to remove the rear wheel is that a right pain?

Gaz545 returned his after getting constant problems with the brakes and other issues (fork judder, bad customer service from Genesis, big jumps between gears). He raved about the bike before he got it and for the first week or so, then went quiet about it, then returned it.
    There is a thread in Commuting Chat that goes into more detail (but I'm too tired to look for it right now).
    EDIT: I guess I'm not that tired after all!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!