Bristol chain gang

Zoomer37
Zoomer37 Posts: 725
Looking to up things with my training and just wonderd if anyone has info on any local chain gangs in the Bristol area. Im aware there is one on a Tuesday evening, but unsure if its all riders from one club or a mix or if I could tag along. Tried searching for stuff on this, but only found old info.

Any advice would be great. Im a hard worker and happy to my fair share at the front :)

Comments

• JSB24
    JSB24 Posts: 37
    Never done it myself, but do have friends that do it regularly. Its a mix of riders, anyone can turn up, and as far as i'm aware it's Tuesday at the Nova Scotia at 6pm and heads out towards Chew lake.
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Thanks mate, nice one.
  • Toby_W
    Toby_W Posts: 217
    Yep, mix of riders from several clubs, route is about 44 miles done in two hours or less. If you get dropped that's it but there are a couple of shortcuts. I don't think people mind you hanging on the first time but expect to be expected to work after that.
    I've made it round a few times and been dropped a lot. It's great fun and I must start going again.
    Cheers
    Toby_W

Route (ish)
    Long Ashton - Winford- West side of Chew Valley - West Harptree-East to Churchill-Yatton-Near Clevedon-Nailsea-Long Ashton.
    Dancing on the pedals
  • dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    Are there any rides/groups running out on a weekend?

I am looking ideally for a Sat AM run out otherwise will be schlepping out again on my own.
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • Blimey that takes me back. I use to do the Bristol chain gang in the late 70's. I was a good burn up and great training. There should be more chaingangs, teaches you how to ride in a group amoung other things.
  • Toby_W
    Toby_W Posts: 217
    Badtri ride on Saturday mornings from 9am at the Pumphouse. There are slow, medium and fast rides for short, medium and long distances.

See:

www.badtri.org

I think Severn Road club ride on Sunday mornings.

Well I rode with the chain gang last Tuesday and realised my legs are lacking in power, dropped after about 15 miles. Fantastic riding, if I can just get to the hills I'll make it to the flat bit west of Nailsea at which point the big guys will start putting the power down and I may struggle again.

Have fun.

Cheers

Toby
    Dancing on the pedals
  • dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    Cheers.

Will try to get my lazy ass out tomorrow look like I would fit the medium paced group. Normally average 16-17mph. Did Black Rat 100km in just under 4hrs for the full route despite signage issues and wind.
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo