Forum home Road cycling forum Tours, routes, audaxes & organised rides Tour & expedition

Has Andy Miller ever headed out on an impromptute tour?

Stoo61Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
edited May 2011 in Tour & expedition
....just packed a bag, pannier etc and set off from home with only a vague idea of where you are going?

Something about this sort of expedition calls to me.

Regail me with your tales of adventure. :D

EDIT: Scrap that, i think its the sort of thing that you should just go and do rather than researching to the hilt. Pick a few destinations, get a road map and ride to them. Inverness, Glasgow, Dublin, Newquay...the continent.

• andymillerandymiller Posts: 2,856
    Or opened a thread and thought 'why couldn't this guy have given it a meaningful title'?
  • mz__jomz__jo Posts: 398
    Need to carry a map which means deciding where you're going in the first place. Other than that, yes I have and it has never been a success for me and we'll leave it there (and I am not Andy, who should get the last word)
  • vernonlevyvernonlevy Posts: 969
    all of my tours are minimally planned. I know where I'm starting from and I know where I will end the tour. The actual routes between the extremities of the tour are always vague and I can never say where I will be on any given day. Every day is a surprise to me.

Not everyone can cope with this degree of laissez faire.
  • cycladeliccycladelic Posts: 641
    I'm with Vernon on this one.

If a tour is for more than a week, I just set off with an outline. There are too many variables to factor in to come up with a rigid schedule - the weather, mechanical problems, meeting people, liking a place and wanting to stay, getting a bad stomach, whatever. I just suck it and see. Afterall, it's suposed to be a vacation, not a military exercise.
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • bigjimbigjim Posts: 780
    Depends where you are going and whether B&B or camping. Just back from Danube,ish tour and distances between towns can vary a lot. We often had to race to make sure we got accommadation. In 80deg heat not always pleasant.
  • dilemnadilemna Posts: 2,187
    Is the OP taking a pop at this guy :? ?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.