Aesthetics of the top tube

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
The design/style police seem to decry anything other than a dead-level pencil thin top tube?

What’s wrong with the muscular, panther-shouldered look of a semi-compact frame top tube? Or modern carbon swoopiness?
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    What's more drek is those horrible massive head tubes that you get on Spesh Secteurs, et al

Yuk

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    SimonAH wrote:
    The design/style police seem to decry anything other than a dead-level pencil thin top tube?

What’s wrong with the muscular, panther-shouldered look of a semi-compact frame top tube? Or modern carbon swoopiness?

What's right with it?[/oldfart]
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Leading this years category for "Most pretentious Thread Title" :wink:

(I LIKE my swoopy carbon shouldered Trek and flat bottomed Tricross!)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've got a Carbon 456 (see 'rough' in my sig) and I think it's bloody gorgeous.

It's functional because carbon can be made into the necessary shapes more easily than a metal tube, which, despite a bit of bending, is always going to basically be a metal tube.

It's the same, but less pronounced, on my Ribble. Bendy in the right places, and rock solid in the right places.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    The asymmetrical top tube on my Columbus steel road frame is a thing of beauty, but I must admit, I do like thin, circular tubing for retro chic.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For retro, pencil thin (a la quality steel) is the way to go, but it doesn't suite all bikes/people, weight for weight a larger diameter is stiffer but has less impact resistance due to the thinner wall.

For myself for a modern look commuter (Spesh Sirrusfor example) something like an MTB top tube looks more in keeping (Visually I'd prefer mine to be thicker) a chap here uses a modern ex CX bike and that has quite thick tubes, another has a 1980's Peugeot road bike with pencil thin tubes (seatpost is 24mm OD)

As for shapes, hydroforming means you can make a top tube any shape you would reasonably want, so carbon has no benefit in that respect.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Largely the form/function thing. A bike is something where form should follow function - the basic, traditional, simple frame design is a perfect example of that. Most carbon silliness is a result of form taking the lead. Nothing wrong with that but easy to take the piss of!

Here is a perfect example - http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... =12776259; ignore the first pic and find the bike show pic on page two to see just how daft this bike is.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why ignore the first pic? What comparing the 2 pics shows is that something that can look aesthetically pleasing in one colour scheme can be made to look cack in another, it doesn't change how pleasing the tube underneath looks surely?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rolf_f
    Why ignore the first pic? What comparing the 2 pics shows is that something that can look aesthetically pleasing in one colour scheme can be made to look cack in another, it doesn't change how pleasing the tube underneath looks surely?

Simon

It's the same colour scheme - you just can't really see what the frame design looks like in the first pic - hence better to look at the second one.
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    I like a nice squarish geometery myself. Hate hate hate the curve of Specialized top tubes. Make me feel sick.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Horizontal top tube = large rear triangle = more flex in the frame. Generally.

A bike is to be ridden, not just looked at.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rolf_f
    Greg66 wrote:

Which, given the obsession of many manufacturers in producing excessively rigid frames is a good thing. With the state of our roads, more flex is probably good for those of us who are of lighter build.

As you say, a bike is to be ridden, not just looked at.
  • jimmcdonnell
    jimmcdonnell Posts: 328
    Specialized curved top tubes remind me of our old cocker spaniel dragging his ar$e across the living room carpet somehow. Beauty in the EOTB and all that, but they just look plain fugly to me.
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Rolf F wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Which, given the obsession of many manufacturers in producing excessively rigid frames is a good thing. With the state of our roads, more flex is probably good for those of us who are of lighter build.

As you say, a bike is to be ridden, not just looked at.
    The manufacturers would probably say something like 'designed for maximum lateral rigidity while maintaining ride comfort through vertical compilance' or some such :lol:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    Based on the Surrey lanes I rode yesterday (think several miles worth of Putney Bridge but with much steeper gradients) then 'vertical compliance' is very much appreciated.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    For pure design alone, I like a horizontal top tube. However, for improved geometry and stiffness I think a semi-compact is near perfect.....
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    In a review of the old Pace RC1 MTB with is characteristic square section, CNC'd, sloping top tube, the reviewer faulted the design, saying that is was uncomfortable to sit on whilst he waited for his mates to catch up with him at the top of a hill.

Functionally a top tube should be comfy to sit on from the side, easy to shoulder without sliding away, and capable of resting in any bike carrier.

I like trad skinny tubes but then I'm traditional and skinny.