Manchester......

matt1986
matt1986 Posts: 31
edited June 2011 in Routes
Looking for rides not to far from Manc city centre and easy to get to by train to do during the day any ideas very welcome cheers
Genesis Core 30 2011
BMC Trailfox TF02 2011

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Train to Todmorden, loads to ride in Calderdale and across into Rossendale including Lee & Gragg quarries.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Crampo
    Crampo Posts: 3
    Hi mat. Can you get the train from Manky to Hope. If so you'll find stacks of trails in the area, try Hope Cross. If not get the train to Shiny Sheff ands ride out via the Rivelin Valley to Stanage Edge. Crampo
  • Duggan13
    Duggan13 Posts: 75
    There's loads of options when you start to look. I often get the train to either Marple (Central or Rose Hill) or New Mills.

From New Mills you can easily go along the Sett Valley Trail to Hayfield and then do Hayfield rides or even further into the Peaks along the Pennine Trail or Jacobs Ladder etc.

From Marple you can do loads of trails around the Roman Lakes and again, further into the Peaks if you want.

Both are about 25mins out of Piccadilly from platform 1 or 2 usually and if you live in South Manchester (or probably even North Manchester tbf) it's often easy enough to ride back along the canals and through Stockport, then into the city.

If you want more info just PM me.
  • RLyons
    RLyons Posts: 67
    As these guy's have said, lots to go at!

Also try Macclesfield forest - the train to Macclesfield is pretty quick if you get the right one. That's my local riding area - good for a couple of hours on a evening or an all-dayer!