Weight saving - what's the average cost per, say, 10g?

silly lily
silly lily Posts: 505
edited May 2011 in MTB general
Good morning!
Has abyone, I wonder, actually done such calculations?
Say, you buy a new drive train, change cassette, whatever - with some weight saving, how much would that mean per 10 g. As components prices vary, there must be an average price...
My On One Inbred and Com Meta 5.5.1:
http://silly-lily.pinkbike.com/album/My-MTB/

www.sophialibris.com
Academic Coaching and Advising Consultancy

Comments

• paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    It really depends on where you are starting from, if it is very low down the respective component ranges then it is pretty cheap to lose a few lbs. If your bike is kitted out in XT it is going to cost you a whole lot more to upgrade.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    As above, it's all about what you're upgrading, knocking a few lbs off a £500 bike wouldn't cost you the earth, knocking a lb or two off a £3000 bike can cost as much as the bike it self, but if you look around it can be done relatively cheaply
  • allthegearnoidea
    allthegearnoidea Posts: 4,077
    as the others have said, it depends So much on what your starting with, if youve got a supermarket bike with branded shimano kit, then spending £50 on some second hand parts could shave Masses off! £200 could majorly transform it with parts from ebay etc. but if youve got a high endwell kitted out bike then you could well be into the £100/grams area, if not more ££££ for less grams saving!

that said, this years XTr will filter down to the next Gen Xt in a coupl eof years and so on!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Tank-slapper
    Tank-slapper Posts: 968
    My general rule is £1 per gram.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    A month off the beer dropped 7lbs and saved me a wedge of cash.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    To be honest people who care that much about gram saving are crazy people, weight weenies, or racing snakes...
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    silly lily wrote:
    ... - with some weight saving, how much would that mean per 10 g. As components prices vary, there must be an average price...

Free...

Have a dump before you ride..
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Daz555 wrote:
    A month off the beer dropped 7lbs and saved me a wedge of cash.

+1

Also taking a really big crap in the morning is a must for the short term, no way would I spend £100's to save a few ounces when I can crap 2lbs for free.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    What if you do that and save a few ounces? You go even quicker!
  • Thewaylander
    njee20 wrote:
    What if you do that and save a few ounces? You go even quicker!

Depends where you want to go quicker, Chunky bikes are normally better going down(ooeer misses)

And as for the take a crap idea, nooo save it get some quality wind and a match jet propulsion is in the house!
  • njee20
    That's not necessarily true. Even DH racers try and shave grams.

Obviously fitting SIDs and 2.1" tyres won't help, but a lighter stem will not slow you down. Bigger bikes are faster downhill, the extra weight is a by product.
  • Thewaylander
    yeh but trim the fat of summat like your wheels and you normally end up with wheels that don't track get knocked of course and give you head ache.

I have yet to ride a bike below 30pounds where the wheels don't feel like there bending under hard cornering.

You have to face the truth most people just want to lost weight for no actuall reason and purpose, With you i can understand you want to race, light weight really helps you there for maitaining high output over longer periods, but for most people it's a fad thing.
  • njee20
    Oh yeah I agree, and I definitely think most people could lose weight off themselves first and it would make a bigger difference, was just saying that heavier = better downhill isn't necessarily the case.

I find my lighter wheels handle better downhill too, which has surprised me frankly.
  • Thewaylander
    Hehe never found a light set of wheels that go well down hill, but then i'm always complaining that most downhills don't go down enough adn that i have to damn well pedal :P

How is that carbon sheet work going anyways? was interested by that?
  • njee20
    Not got it yet, will post up when I've had a play! Reckon it'll be ok, gonna stick with simple shapes in the first instance haha! Should get a chance to fiddle on Saturday.
  • Thewaylander
    Best post some pictures on that.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I don't agree 100% with all this "have a crap before your ride, save you money" talk.

OK to a point it might be true hill climbing and more important for road riding.

But what's true with mountain bikes is your maneuvering the bike around beneath you a lot. Especially say on technical single track. A lighter bike is more responsive and easier to handle especially helpful on longer rides.

I found lightening the front of the bike made a bike difference, by which I mean anything that rotates round the headset (bars/stem/forks ect). Wheels also, light stiff wheels make a huge difference.

I would agree that saving weight isn't the 'be all and end all', but it is important.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    But to answer the OP's question -

Once you get in to mid range gear it's quite likely you'll be spending approx £100 to save 100g.
  • Thewaylander
    RichardSwt wrote:
    I don't agree 100% with all this "have a crap before your ride, save you money" talk.

OK to a point it might be true hill climbing and more important for road riding.

But what's true with mountain bikes is your maneuvering the bike around beneath you a lot. Especially say on technical single track. A lighter bike is more responsive and easier to handle especially helpful on longer rides.

I found lightening the front of the bike made a bike difference, by which I mean anything that rotates round the headset (bars/stem/forks ect). Wheels also, light stiff wheels make a huge difference.

I would agree that saving weight isn't the 'be all and end all', but it is important.

I'd say no to this, i went from 32 forks to 36 the handling difference was extreme, and it weigh alot more...
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I don't think people are taking into consideration the importance of unsprung weight enough, 10g shaved off the weight of a wheel will have a significant impact on handling compared with 10g shaved off the riders weight.
  • silly lily
    silly lily Posts: 505
    RichardSwt wrote:
    But to answer the OP's question -

Once you get in to mid range gear it's quite likely you'll be spending approx £100 to save 100g.

Thank you going back to topic!
    My On One Inbred and Com Meta 5.5.1:
    http://silly-lily.pinkbike.com/album/My-MTB/

www.sophialibris.com
    Academic Coaching and Advising Consultancy
  • njee20
    But that's not an average cost, just a ratio a lot of people think is a sensible limit.

I don't disagree, doesn't mean I won't exceed it mind.
  • Tank-slapper
    Tank-slapper Posts: 968
    Me neither. There are other considerations such as performance, compatibility, special offers, pocket depth, etc.

The £1 per 1g thing is easy to remember and work out.
  • njee20
    Where you're starting from has to be the single biggest consideration.

I could save massive amounts on my winter road bike for relatively small amounts of money.

On my MTB I'd really struggle to change anything that would gain me 1g/£!
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I was thinking that the other day when I bought a new wheel for my road bike. It came down to 2, with £15/150g (according to the shop scales) between them. I thought 10g per pound was alright.

I'm a bit torn on the lightweight thing, especially for MTBing where everything's likely to have lbs of mud hanging off it anyway and you've probably got a Camelbak full of bits and bobs instead. A few grams or tens of grams here and there seems insignificant.

On the other hand it all adds up if you're looking at the whole package. Clearly getting some lighter bars on something that's otherwise a bit of a tank isn't going ot transform it.

Parts break or wear out soon enough and a bit of searching will virtually always get you a replacement that's lighter than you had before for the same sort of price (if you don't mind last year's model perhaps) so why not?
  • njee20
    But if you add 3lbs of mud to a bike that was 5lbs lighter in the first place it's still lighter :-)

The lighter bike doesn't attract any more mud.

Clutching at straws I realise.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I don't think people are taking into consideration the importance of unsprung weight enough, 10g shaved off the weight of a wheel will have a significant impact on handling compared with 10g shaved off the riders weight.
    So what you're really saying is don't crap on your rims... :wink:
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets