Sticky shimano piston

MattJWL
MattJWL Posts: 147
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,
I've got an XTR 965 caliper on the front of my bike. The pistons never balance each other, and one pad almost always ends up rubbing against the disc, even though the caliper is perfectly centered.

Any ideas what I can do? Using matching 965 dual control lever, brakes, feels etc fine. Just that the extra friction, while arguably good on training rides, ain't much fun on epics...
Intense Carbine SL
"Chinarello"
Taylor Made
Off to pastures new:
CELL Team Pro
Intense Spider FRO
Giant XTC Composite Clone
1992 Fisher Al-1
1990 Raleigh Mirage
1988 Cloria Italian MTB

Comments

• BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    Got the same issue on my M965. Even if I offset the caliper, the offending piston just ends up sticking out further, so it's difficult to compensate for it.

It was like this since new, so I didn't think the piston was sticking due to contamination or corrosion, and hoped it would 'wear through'.

I'll be interested to hear what techniques are recommended to tackle this.
  • MattJWL
    BG2000 wrote:
    It was like this since new, so I didn't think the piston was sticking due to contamination or corrosion, and hoped it would 'wear through'.
    Same here - first couple of times I reset the piston I thought maybe I'd misaligned something or that it would sort itself out. It hasn't & I'm fed up with it now. Interestingly I have some deore LX calipers which are basically the same design, and they never had the problem.
    Intense Carbine SL
    "Chinarello"
    Taylor Made
    Off to pastures new:
    CELL Team Pro
    Intense Spider FRO
    1992 Fisher Al-1
    1990 Raleigh Mirage
    1988 Cloria Italian MTB
  • MattJWL
    Does no-one really have an answer to this? Or did I miss an obvious FAQ somewhere, hence people aren't replying?
    Intense Carbine SL
    "Chinarello"
    Taylor Made
    Off to pastures new:
    CELL Team Pro
    Intense Spider FRO
    1992 Fisher Al-1
    1990 Raleigh Mirage
    1988 Cloria Italian MTB
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    try swaping them over.

not much else to try.

but either way a full strip and lube up is about it be becarful as not all shimano stuff has spare parts available if you mess it up.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • MattJWL
    Cheers Nic. Was hoping for some magic remedy, but hey ho.
    Intense Carbine SL
    "Chinarello"
    Taylor Made
    Off to pastures new:
    CELL Team Pro
    Intense Spider FRO
    1992 Fisher Al-1
    1990 Raleigh Mirage
    1988 Cloria Italian MTB