Contador's mechanic thrown out of Giro

RossW
RossW Posts: 77
edited May 2011 in Pro race
According to twitter

"cyclingfans
Contador's mechanic thrown out of Giro after hitting spectator w/open car door during today's TT through crowd. (AFP)"

They cant be serious...

Comments

• Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    This is procycling.
    Anything can- and is-happening.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    RossW wrote:
    According to twitter

"cyclingfans
    Contador's mechanic thrown out of Giro after hitting spectator w/open car door during today's TT through crowd. (AFP)"

They cant be serious...

Why? Seems like a fairly stupid thing to do, assuming the car was moving at the time.
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    If true, the mechanic is my hero. The fans were especially annoying today.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    AndyRubio wrote:
    If true, the mechanic is my hero. The fans were especially annoying today.

I agree that they're annoying, but hitting random people with a car door is probably not the solution.

The Zoncolan stage was worse, mainly because there were thousands of idiots for ninety percent of the climb, then for the last few hundred metres you had thousands more marshalls / soldiers all standing arm-in-arm doing naff all! Why not spread them out over the climb?!
  • RossW
    RossW Posts: 77
    afx237vi wrote:
    RossW wrote:
    According to twitter

"cyclingfans

They cant be serious...

Why? Seems like a fairly stupid thing to do, assuming the car was moving at the time.
    Lets be fair, The car would have been on the mountains by then because thats the only place it was really croweded, Like AndyRubio said the fans today where all over the road.
    Kicked out seems a little drastic.
    Speactator should got his sorry ass off the road, and his eyes tested if he couldnt see a car coming.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I assumed that it was accidental- car slows down, mechanic leaps out, spectator in the way and gets hit by car door.
    The mechanic would be focused on whatever he was about to do.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Tusher wrote:
    I assumed that it was accidental- car slows down, mechanic leaps out, spectator in the way and gets hit by car door.
    The mechanic would be focused on whatever he was about to do.
    Those steaks don't cook themselves
  • cornoyemade
    cornoyemade Posts: 180
    The fans have been obnoxious in the mountains.

I look forward to the the day the "devil "is to old to continue his lame shenanigans. Worse yet is that idiot steak fisherman. Also, british fans who wave the flag when any brit "climbs" past, or a "royal" gets married.

Nonetheless, slamming a door on a spectator is poor form (unless it happens to be Cavy).
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    RossW wrote:
    According to twitter

"cyclingfans

They cant be serious...

He hit the spectator ON PURPOSE. he thought they'd punched Contador (they did not). he should be thrown out.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,571
    Two guys out driving on a quiet country road, near dark. Rounding a bend the driver sees two young men, dressed in black pants, white shirts and thin black ties walking on the edge of the road. He swerves violently to miss them, struggles to regain control of the car, then swears to his mate.

"Bl00dy hell, stupid Mormon preachers. Did you see that? I nearly hit them! "

"Don't worry," his mate replied, "I got them with the door"

I'll get my coat....
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I laughed my socks off at the steak fishing guy. best bit of the day!
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    I opened this thread expecting it to be about Bertie's bike changes.

He looked a bit knackered at the top on stage 15- mechanic maybe not fully charged the battery? Thought Saxo may have chucked him out for that.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    I laughed my socks off at the steak fishing guy. best bit of the day!

I agree, it was hilarious, also Harmon trying to contain his amusement was good. I also liked the guy that ran behind contador with a huge syringe and a helmet with cow horns and a sign that said 'anti-doping'.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    The idiot Saxo Bank mechanic did it in front of this guy... Angelo Zomegnan, direttore del Giro. :oops:
  • roadiesean
    roadiesean Posts: 577
    They threw him out because they don't seem to be able to throw his boss out.
  • Had to laugh at Sean Kelly's description of the incident:

"...and the mechanic has just given the spectator a touch of the door." (or words to that effect).

The way your mum might give you a touch of the rolling pin if you were naughty.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Had to laugh at Sean Kelly's description of the incident:

"...and the mechanic has just given the spectator a touch of the door." (or words to that effect).

The way your mum might give you a touch of the rolling pin if you were naughty.

rolling pin? ffs I thought my parents were harsh!!
    cartoon.jpg
  • argonrider
    argonrider Posts: 20
    Some fans are pretty annoying to be fair, If i was riding with a load of people dressed as nuns and crazy animals and people in fancy dress for4+ hours a day then id be pretty p****d.
    "You riding or Hiding", Stupid question!
    "I'll get my bike"