Cannot get my rear wheel to sit straight...

bobingtonsmyth
bobingtonsmyth Posts: 41
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm frustrated to hell with the state of my rear wheel and wonder if anyone can help.

For the life of me I cannot get my rear wheel to sit straight in the frame. When I do manage to fettle it so that it's spot on an hour or so's ride knocks it out of line again. It's having a knock on effect with my gearing that as soon as it moves out of line the gears slip.

I'm beginning to suspect that the rear of the frame is out of whack which, if is the case, is probably another imminent sign that the Rapture is upon us so I might as well just ride the bloody thing off the edge of a cliff....

Help...

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    fit wheel put bike on wheels. undo Qr press down ( wheel is now seated correctly) do up Qr.

If that does not fix it lets have a better explanation or Pics.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Might be worth taking your bike to a bike shop, to have the alignment checked.
    What kind of dropouts do you have?
    Cheaper bicycles tend to have a slot into which the wheel sits (and no, I'm not talking about singlespeed style slotted dropouts), which obviously have a leeway of where the wheel sits.
    Whereas most MTB frames will have dropouts positioned so that the wheel will only ever sit in one location.