Can I upgrade a 18" frame to a 16" frame?

taylor_79
taylor_79 Posts: 8
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I've just bought a bike that after a few rides, I now realise is to big. Obviously, the shop I bought it from won't allow me to swap for a smaller one, stupid me I know, should have tried it before buying off the internet.Anyway, I have to decide if I should sell it or change the frame for a smaller 16".

The bike I have bought is a Cube Attention 2011

P1010986.JPG

and I was wondering If upgrading to a Cube Reaction GTC Pro ( see : cube reaction frame ) would be possible.

As all the other parts on the bike are brand new, I guess my real question is, would it be possible to easily transfer all the parts from a 18" cube attention to a 16" Cube Reaction?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    new cranks and BB/ new headset/adaptor will need buying.

front mech/seatpost/clamp are all things that may need changing.

and a few other things may also need changing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    i would start with giving your cooker and work top a good clean. :lol:

try to sell it you might get your money back if its like new.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Have you tried a shorter stem and lowering the saddle.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • toon 1892
    toon 1892 Posts: 1
    you could try fitting a new crank with 170mm pedal arms this along with the other suggestions may help and save you a bit cash
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    toon 1892 wrote:
    you could try fitting a new crank with 170mm pedal arms this along with the other suggestions may help and save you a bit cash

sorry short cranks will not change anything regarding "size" and most people cant tell the difference either,
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dc71
    dc71 Posts: 170
    nicklouse wrote:
    new cranks and BB/ new headset/adaptor will need buying.

front mech/seatpost/clamp are all things that may need changing.

and a few other things may also need changing.

@nicklouse, why would the crank/BB need changing?

The seattube is the same across both frames so the front mech/seatpost/clamp will swap straight over.

BUT the Reaction frame is more race oriented (longer) so the top tube on the 16" is the same length as on the 18" Attention. So while the height may feel a bit lower, the position will feel just as stretched out.

As lonegroover said above, the best option may be to try a shorter stem and maybe slightly wider bars first, plus move your seat forward a bit. If you decide the frame is definitely too big, you'd need to find a Reaction to try out before you buy due to the different geo.