Crud Catcher

matt@theforce
matt@theforce Posts: 647
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'll soon be back on my bike after my op and with all the bad weather I'm looking to get a Crud Catcher for my Kona Caldera however the one I've just bought is too rounded for my square tube :(

Does anyone have any ideas of a Crud Catcher that come with a flat back for me to mount it to my frame without it slipping off to one side

Matthew

Comments

• J@mesC
    J@mesC Posts: 129
    with all the bad weather I'm looking to get a Crud Catcher
    :shock:
    Bad weather? The trails are screaming out for rain here - hardly a drop for about 6-8 weeks and never thought I'd say this, but I wish it would rain :(
  • matt@theforce
    I wish it would stop. We've had that much wind & rain that the rain is seeping in through the roof and walls again at home :(
  • starkee
    starkee Posts: 143
    I just bought a run of the mill 'crudcatcher' and i didn't have any problems fitting it to the sqaure down tube on my Mondraker :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    J@mesC wrote:
    Bad weather? The trails are screaming out for rain here - hardly a drop for about 6-8 weeks and never thought I'd say this, but I wish it would rain :(
    That's an useful response. I take it you're oblivious to the news, and the reports of insane storms battering the rest of the country then?

Anyway. Don't bother with the crudcatcher, they don't do anything useful. You'd be better off with something like a muckynuts fender bender, or an RRP Neoguard. Something like that.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try a home made neoguard made out of an old inner tube. Works great. If you like it splash out on a real one.
    Agree that crudcatchers are almost as useless as most of the posts in Crudcatcher.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    I actually bought a neoguard because I was in dire need of something, and had no spare innertubes :oops:
    They work alarmingly well though. I mean, I'd heard they were good but effin hell! Brilliant!
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    cooldad wrote:
    Try a home made neoguard made out of an old inner tube. Works great. If you like it splash out on a real one.
    Agree that crudcatchers are almost as useless as most of the posts in Crudcatcher.
    I've made one of them and they work brilliantly, maybe not as well as a Bender Fender but for next to nothing, very good. I might have to get rid of my crudcather, I don't actually know why I've kept it on. Be gone!
  • matt@theforce
    I was going to get one of those neoguards to stop the spray off the roads flicking up off the wheel in front of me.

Its something that will be used through the winter. Surely a crud catcher is better than no crud catcher?

I use this Topeak Defender http://www.topeak.com/products/Fenders/DeFenderM1_M2_Set on my Cube but it feels to clunky for a daily commuter bike with narrowish tyres
  • cooldad
    Not really as most of the gunk caught by a crudcatcher would hit the downtube anyway.
    The stuff that hits you in the face gets thrown up by the front wheel and you ride into it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Slamdunkin
    Slamdunkin Posts: 355
    I use a fast fender to stop the over spray from the front wheel going in my eyes....some people think they look daft....but I like mine.

http://www.bikemagic.com/gear-news/crud ... /7052.html
  • cooldad
    It does look a bit silly, and can't see it doing a better job than a Neoguard or Fender Bender.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • J@mesC
    J@mesC wrote:
    That's an useful response. I take it you're oblivious to the news, and the reports of insane storms battering the rest of the country then?

Makes a change that the "useful response" isn't from you, eh??? :roll:

I would say "insane storms" is a little over-hyping it, wouldn't you? Now Missouri has been having some insane storms...
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    J@mesC wrote:
    J@mesC wrote:

I would say "insane storms" is a little over-hyping it, wouldn't you? Now Missouri has been having some insane storms...

People died here too. Is that insane enough?

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    101_North wrote:
    J@mesC wrote:
    J@mesC wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-13517316

But, back on topic, the neoguards and fender benders are meant to be great. I've got a neoguard and never bother with a downtube mounted crudcatcher any more.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    after reading through this i think i'll ditch the front crud catcher and get myself a fender bender and a neo gaurd
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • J@mesC
    101_North wrote:

Insane enough for Daily Mail headlines I guess. Meanwhile, back in the real world, 100mph winds are not unusual in the UK.

My original point was more an observation of the contrasts in the UK at the minute - OP notes lots of rain and Yeehaamcknowitall tells us of his insane storms. Meanwhile down here we've not had a drop of rain for weeks and some fairly extensive and damaging forest fires... Fairly wide ranging extremes for a little country.

Note to self - never stray from geeky gear chat in Buying Advice forum :roll:
  • bails87
    J@mesC wrote:
    Fairly wide ranging extremes for a little country.

Note to self - never stray from geeky gear chat in Buying Advice forum :roll:

Well there were forest fires in Scotland too...until it rained :?

Why even mention that the weather where you live is different to the weather hundreds of miles away?

Like you say, we get pretty wide ranging extremes.

You were right in that it may be dry by you, but you were wrong to think that the weather near you is representative of everywhere else.

Also, 100mph winds are fairly unusual.

Overall, C minus for your efforts. :wink:
    MTB/CX

• cooldad
    andy46 wrote:
    after reading through this i think i'll ditch the front crud catcher and get myself a fender bender and a neo gaurd

Probably only need one or the other.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • J@mesC
    bails87 wrote:

You were right in that it may be dry by you, but you were wrong to think that the weather near you is representative of everywhere

Where did I say I thought this??? Simply making idle chit chat about the extremes of weather the country is having...

A+ for jumping to the wrong conclusion though :lol:
  • Anonymous
    J@mesC, what possessed you to become a grade a spazzwangle?
    Was it a choice you made one day, or did it just happen naturally?

Quite cute of you to accuse others of being pointless, when you seem to be the only one without anything to add to the thread though, eh?
    jog on, pal.
  • J@mesC
    Shock horror, man in Internet forum has last word... Must not let this happen... Must come up with witty comeback...
    :roll:
    :roll:

Damn me for being so awfully British and making a weather observation in the first place. Off to flog myself for being such a worthless drain on society...
  • bails87
    It just seemed a bit odd to go on a post about mudguards and say "I live in a different part of the world and the weather is a bit different". Kind of goes without saying. Hey ho!

And yep, OP, they bothe do the same job, I'd say go for the fender bender, seeing as it looks less intrusive.
    MTB/CX

• clydefrog
    clydefrog Posts: 162
    Sorry for the old bump, but does this fit alright on a Boardman Comp mountain bike (the 2011/2012 one)? It has quite a strange shaped down tube.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    HolyThreadResurrection.jpg
    I think the overall concensous was that a Fender Bender or a RRP would do the job better. I run a RRP at the moment, i also have a Crudcatcher but dont run it all the time as it rubs on my carbon tubes (plus its yellow)

I dont see why it wouldnt work on your boardman, their still relitivly round are thery not?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    A* for you all for conforming to the British stereotype of talking continuously about the weather :)
  • EyesintheSky
    EyesintheSky Posts: 183
    387e003f_HolyNecroPost_759032.jpeg

But yes, recently fitted a NeoGuard and it works wonders, especially on wet roads. Plus the new designs are pretty funky.

They really help in this insane weather we've been having... :lol:

Doh pipped to the post by VW for batman inclusion, well I guess two batmans is better than one, although one robin is one too many.
    Very funny Scotty, now beam me down my clothes.
  • SWEETY-4x4
    SWEETY-4x4 Posts: 43
    Just fitted a crud catcher to my 2011 Kona cindercone & it did move about a bit so put 4 rubber/felt type pads to it where it makes contact with the frame & moved one end of the large rubber O rings that hold it on to the middle hook on the CC & it's very tight now & doesn't move about
    1991 Kona Cinder Cone in Cinder Gold
    www.borders4x4club.co.uk
  • clydefrog
    clydefrog Posts: 162
    I've found out I'm better off going with the Cycraguard ones for the Boardman Comp HT, since it has the gear and rear brake cables on the down tube this one comes with rubbber things to give them clearance.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_210163