Front hub advice

GJC
GJC Posts: 198
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi i am looking for some advice, when i pull on the front brake when stationary so the brake locks the front there is still forwards and backwards motion on the front wheel of even when the brakes are lock full on, is this normal? i also have slight movement side to side only on the front.

GJC
Lapierre Spicy 316 2011

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what brakes are fitted?

are the pads moving? (V or disc)

if disc is the rotor moving on the bolts/splines?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • GJC
    Hi, I have formula RX disc brakes, the rotor doesnt move just the hub cant really tell if pads are moving but the there is side to side movement aswell, hubs are lapierre with 20mm thru axle

Gjc
    Lapierre Spicy 316 2011
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sure it's not just the tyre flexing?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    GJC wrote:
    Hi, I have formula RX disc brakes, the rotor doesnt move just the hub cant really tell if pads are moving but the there is side to side movement aswell, hubs are lapierre with 20mm thru axle

Gjc

you can tell Look at them as you rock the bike. it is easy to see what is moving.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • GJC
    They dont appear to be moving

GJC
    Lapierre Spicy 316 2011
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    Just checking that we're definitely talking abut the front wheel here and not a knocking feeling when you lock the front brake and move the bike backwards and forwards. If it's what I mentioned then the headset needs tightening.