Filling Schrader with slime

father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
What's the cheapest way of filling schrader tubes with slime? How much slime would I need for each tyre on carry freedom large?
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    get kelvar lined tyres, don't fill your tubes with slime. nasty horrible stuff and just adds weight to your wheels
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • father_jack
    Did that and already had a puncture. It's for a trailer.
    Tourer has kevlar tyres and slime.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    t4tomo wrote:
    get kelvar lined tyres, don't fill your tubes with slime. nasty horrible stuff and just adds weight to your wheels

Useless bloody stuff - gums up the valves and stops patches adhering.

For Shrader valves, though, you just need to removed the valve core by unscrewing it.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • father_jack
    Don't know if it's helped won't know until I remove the tyres. Work bike so just wanted some more protection. If it's helped once it's worth it.

Have no problem with blocked valves, ok a little bit certainly not superglued. Just let a bit of air out, that's it.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    When I tried it, the holes it didn't block (pinch flats) refused to hold a patch for more than a week. Ended up with more flats than without the stuff. Changed to Gatorskins and dumped the slimes and it's been infintely better!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I use slime inners and they have worked fine for me. Just turn the puncture to the bottom and wait for the slime to do its job. For large holes that could re-open I rotate the tyre an inch relative to the inner so the two holes don't coincide. I do this later, either that night or at the weekend. No need for patches so far. You need to make sure the valve is in the right place if you are adding more air so that slime doesn't run into it and clog it.

I would have thought the instructions on the slime filler would say how much is required for each kind of wheel.