Road bike with flat bars

PaulR2020
PaulR2020 Posts: 2
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
Help I’m looking for some guidance on a good road bike with flat bars.

My wife has become more keen on cycling recently and would like a good road bike, but because of back problems can’t ride a bike with drop handlebars. The obvious solution is a hybrid but the ones I have seen tend to be heavier, and have 28 or 35mm tyres and mountain bike type brakes rather than nice skinny tyres and calliper brakes.

I tried my local bike shop and suggested to them that if I bought a new road bike from them, they could replace the drop bars and levers with straight bars and levers, but they wanted to charge me the full amount for the new items and weren’t going to give me any kind of allowance on the drop bars and levers.

So if I want to spend between £500 and £800 can anyone recommend a good bike which meets my specification?

Paul
[/list]

Comments

• father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Giant FCR
    Giant Rapid
    Carrera Gryphon
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • onlyonearrow
    onlyonearrow Posts: 157
    As suggested above the Giant FCR or Rapid is a good choice. Essentially a Giant Defy or Avail frame with flat bars.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    Scott s5O fb weight 2lb same spec etc as normal bike 600 pound
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • mrwibble
    mrwibble Posts: 980
    the whyte range are regarded by us in the business as very good commuters and probably the best at the moment
  • Stiff_Orange
    Stiff_Orange Posts: 218
    tarbot18 wrote:
    Scott s5O fb weight 2lb same spec etc as normal bike 600 pound

+1

http://www.bikes.org.uk/scott-speedster ... road-bike/
  • w2darren
    w2darren Posts: 51
    i've had a lapierre rcr 900 now for 2 years ( full carbon ), great bike no problems at all. just change the tyres to conti - grand prix 4000s and you won't go wrong.

there new range for 2011 are the shaper (they refer as THE FITNESS BIKE) not to sure on the price of the models.

i now changing over to a racer myself, going to buy a Van Nicholas, Astraeus,
    good luck
  • w2darren
    w2darren Posts: 51
    i've had a lapierre rcr 900 now for 2 years ( full carbon ), great bike no problems at all. just change the tyres to conti - grand prix 4000s and you won't go wrong.

there new range for 2011 are the shaper (they refer as THE FITNESS BIKE) not to sure on the price of the models.

i now changing over to a racer myself, going to buy a Van Nicholas, Astraeus,
    good luck
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    Planet X a ferw months ago where doing the Carbon Pro SL with a falt top bar option for 'commuters' - perhaps this is a possibility?
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Boardman Fi ?
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer