Chain life

Sad Boy
Sad Boy Posts: 51
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I wondered how long you chaps get out of a chain?

In January I replaced mine, I do about 80 miles a week light XC. I de-crease it about every 2 weeks and re-lube.

Im getting paranoid that its time to replace it. Someone said I over clear it. He swears by 3in1 and probably cleans his chain once a year :)

Comments

• kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    I think I changed the GT's chain in 1998.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    measure it and see.

I have known then wear out fast and slow. it all depends on the conditions.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • paul_75
    paul_75 Posts: 61
    i got my boardman just before christmas, didnt get out on it till about feb and had to change the chain last week, think it lasted about 3-400 miles of mainly being used at drumlanrig and a couple of visits to Ae forrest
  • vanamees
    vanamees Posts: 75
    ca 1500 km.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maybe you should get Polly to clean your chain as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Sad Boy
    Its sounding like ive done well to get over a 1000 miles from a chain..
  • skaffen
    skaffen Posts: 72
    It depends how you ride and where. I'm tall (14st with it) and tend to do a lot of climbing (and it's sandy up on the moors round here) and I just kill chains. Tend to be replacing them 3 times a year at least, and the cassettes are almost as bad.
  • Sad Boy
    How do you know when the chain has had it?.... Mines not slipping yet but its not sounding so great after a clean/lube.. In January I changed the chain, cassette and chain ring all 3 were shot.. About 75% of my riding is flattish bridleways very dusty but im doing plenty of miles a week.
  • MattJWL
    MattJWL Posts: 147
    Get one of these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5784

Then you know if it's OK or not.
    Intense Carbine SL
    "Chinarello"
    Taylor Made
    Off to pastures new:
    CELL Team Pro
    Intense Spider FRO
    Giant XTC Composite Clone
    1992 Fisher Al-1
    1990 Raleigh Mirage
    1988 Cloria Italian MTB
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Varies massively IME, according to where you ride and how wet it is mainly. But I'd be disappointed to be changing a chain more than once a year.