Apollo Vortice - Worth Developing/Modifying?

yenkee
yenkee Posts: 27
edited May 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi Guys,

I bought a Apollo Vortice 'urban' mountain bike last year (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_762389_langId_-1_categoryId_165499) through my work's C2W scheme. This is now redundent due to my recent purchase of a cannondale road bike.

I'm thinking of making some use of the bike and taking up some weekend mountain biking and wondered whether you thought this bike would be a good base to start building mountain bike? If so what do you recommend I upgrade?

My first initial thought would be to upgrade the fork, anyone have any suggestions to a good starter fork.?

Comments

• t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    personally I wouldn't but it's really up to you
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    For fire roads and tow paths it would proably be fine as is. For anything else I would consider buying new (Carrera from Halfords are good deals) or looking second hand.
    Decent forks would cost more than the bike did originally, and ugrades are rarely cost effective.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    If i was you, i wouldnt. Keep that for general pottering about, commuting (maybe) and riding to the pub.

The money that you'd use to upgrade it, save it, save some more, then buy a half decent mountain bike ready to go - there's some good second hand deals to be had so long as you're careful.

Upgrading cheap bikes often turns into an expensive affair which just leaves you with a polished turd.